Thursday, December 7, 2023

The Blessing of Homemaking

Shepherd's Tea with Bible verse on the tea bag, at Mrs. White's table.



There is a mission, for many of us, to keep household expenses as low as possible. I have been keeping the lights off while waiting for natural daylight to keep the electric bill down. It is much more charming to light a candle, in the early morning hours, as I sit at the table with my tea.  It feels old fashioned and calming to have the light of the wood stove brightening the parlour on a cold winter evening. 

On dreary snowy mornings, when skies are dark and gray, I open the blinds and enjoy the dim room as I go about straightening things and making everything look pleasant. It feels peaceful and calming to limit the use of electricity.

I make bread and cookies from scratch. It costs very little to provide the household with home baked treats. This brings cheer and goodness to all of us.

All the simple work of keeping the bills low is possible when I am home and able to keep house in a homemade, old fashioned way.

This effort of homemaking helps provide me with time and a little money to do good deeds and good works. 

I am on call at all times for my husband, children, and grandchildren. I am able to minister to them with kindness, advice, love, and support for whatever we all go through.

There are struggles and worries we face nearly every day.  We need the guiding love of Christian fellowship and strong family support.  We need peace, forgiveness, mercy, and compassion.  When there is a homemaker on duty, in a lovely, old fashioned home, it is like having a shining light of safety to warm the heart and comfort weary souls.

When I am careful with my finances, I am able to do good things for others. 

One day last month, one of our extended family moved into a new place.  She was struggling as she was getting settled. After a couple of weeks, I realized there was something I could do for her.  I went to my husband and explained that I wanted to send her a little housewarming gift. I knew what she needed and thought it would be a good idea.  I explained what she had been going through. As I talked, we both knew we had very little money to spare.  He gently said to me, "Honey, your heart is bigger than your wallet."  I knew he was right.  We both knew she could eventually get these things for herself, over time.  But I felt led to do this little thing. I explained to him what I was thinking. "I am not trying to help her. I want to bless her."  I told him.  "I want to give her this little necessary gift to brighten her day and bring cheer as she gets through this rough time."

We talked about our current financial situation and our coming prospects. Soon it was worked out and we were able to send her that little gift.  

We tighten the budget, rearrange our finances and spend a little less on our food. But we are filled with joy and peace as we do these good deeds along the way.  I want to be a blessing.  I want to spend my days doing good works, showing compassion, and spreading a light of hope and encouragement.  

We homemakers need to keep building up the family.  We provide a place of rest while we use good manners to keep relationships strong.  This is a necessary work, which requires doing unto others as you would have them do unto you. We cheer them up, we calm them down, and we spread happiness as we share our faith.

The other day, as my husband and I were driving home from an errand, there was a great deal of stress and worry.  Sometimes people vent and complain when they are struggling and this spreads more stress onto others. This is when we need to be peacemakers.  We need to calm the storm and bring about a rested heart.  It is in these moments that we brush aside all the worries, look Heavenward, and start to sing hymns.  The old songs have a guiding message that lead us to bring cheer, find peace, and draw close to the Lord through all the trials and troubles we walk through.  We find rest in Him and all is well.

This is why I am so grateful for the honor of being a homemaker.  My entire focus is on serving my family and keeping house. I am doing the work of blessing my family and guests by doing good deeds, praying, and taking care of our home. 

This is a simple life, with a great focus on our Heavenly Father who provides all of our needs on a daily basis.  When we do our best to save money, keep costs down, and keep our wants under control, we have freedom to serve and to bless those around us.  We just have to remember to pray, every single day,  that the Lord will guide us with His eye upon us, and to keep us as the apple of His eye.  We are honored to be His children and to serve in the Home. 

Blessings

Mrs. White


From the Archives -

A Lesson in Home Economics - Feeding the Family.

A Restful Retreat - The Privacy of Home Life.

Please be one of these: "The Mother Who Isn't Busy."

 

 
Mrs. White's special book for homemakers:



 
 
Paperback, 200 pages. 


 

 

 

15 comments:

Glenda said...

Every post that you write is such a blessing. Thank you.

Cate Nunan said...

Thank you, as always, Mrs. White. I am doing my best each day to have a servant heart and attitude but some days, with the strain of others around me, venting and snappy, it is hard to stay kind and focused on my job as the homemaker. Like you, I want my focus to be entirely on the home and family. I needed that reminder - entirely! Not looking outwards for other things or being envious of others and their lives and what they are doing.

Bless you for all you do at home and in the world. Yes, we are lights for them, rays of sunshine of God's love for us all.

Cate Nunan

Darla Mae said...

I look forward to your posts. I always find something that helps me or something I need to hear to change an attitude I may be holding onto.
Thanks~

Darlene

Marilyn said...

Yes it is a blessing to be a homemaker. We even reap rewards here on earth. It is joyous to care for another's well being.You are a special blessing to so many.

Mari said...

I appreciate your thoughts on being a homemaker. It's a special calling and a blessing to the homemaker and those around her.

Deanna said...

Beautifully written post and I embrace the sweetness of this. Wonderful post. The focus on homemaking is a blessing. ~d

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

Your heart of love for the Lord, and for your family is lived out with such a gentle heart and spirit. How sweet of you to bless this dear one out of your small finances. May the Lord bless your efforts abundantly! Much love to you dear friend, and may the blessings of Christmas fill your home with His presence!

Cheyenne said...

Your writing is such a blessing to me. Your words bring comfort and cheer. Your encouragement reminds me to work hard at home and to look heavenwards. Galatians 6:9. God bless you.

Martha Jane Orlando said...

Being a homemaker is a blessed gift, Mrs. White. When we put God and family first in our lives, everything falls into place.
Blessings!

SIRVIENDO AL SEÑOR said...

QUE MENSAJE TAN ALENTADOR SEÑORA WHITE¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡ ME SIENTO MUY IDENTIFICADA CON SUS PALABRAS, COMO MAMA Y ABUELA DE MUCHOS, HAGO TODO LO POSIBLE DE AYUDARLOS, ALENTARLOS EN LA FE, BRINDARLE AYUDA DENTRO DE MIS POSIBILIDADES, ANIMARLOS A SEGUIR, ESTA VIDA PUEDE SER DIFICIL Y MOSTRAR OBSTACULOS EN EL CAMINO, PERO SI HAY UNA MADRE ABNEGADA, FIEL AL SEÑOR Y FIEL EN ORACION, SERA UNA AYUDA PARA SU FAMILIA, AUNQUE SOLAMENTE DIGA PALABRAS DE ALIENTO. BENDICIONES Y FELIZ INVIERNO DESDE BUENOS AIRES.

Wanda said...

A lovely expression of what is truly important in this life. And some see being a "homemaker" a lowly task!! Not me, like you I think it's our greatest joy. All our children, grandchildren,and great grandchildren except for Daniel who is 14 months are either teenagers or married. So my homemaking now is just for my dearest. But I love doing all the theings you share, even if its just for two, or for extended family and friends.

My morning is a cup of coffee and my candles, my Bible and my meditations for the day! Something very calming in the morning with just the light of candles.

Thanks again for your wisdom and kindly advice given to lovingly.

Billie Jo said...

Beautiful words, my friend. I am so thankful for my vocation as a wife, mother, and homemaker. And I appreciate knowing you and learning from you as well!

Jenny of Elefantz said...

Indeed, the homemaker life is a God-directed and God-gifted life, Mrs White. Thank you for sharing yours, and the Godly wisdom you have uncovered in the journey.
Jennifer

Amelia said...

A lovely, heartfelt and encouraging post for Peace this Christmas season, Mrs. White. I'm so thankful you were able to bless your daughter, I understand with four adult daughters how our mother's heart feels on that kind of thing.

I'm a little late in commenting on your last post but I do have a bit of helpful information on cars. We bought a Hyundai, four door sedan. We found it at a dealership by calling around after doing our homework, it was one year old, very low mileage, had been rented to a retired couple and had all the bells and whistles on it. It's been a wonderful car. So many times, the name brands that are not as popular, have many perks, and are very good cars for a reasonable price.

God bless you, Mrs. White. ~Amelia

Debbie said...

Mrs. White, I just love this beautiful picture of why it's so valuable to be at home. In hard times, we try to fix our situations by the world's standards, but sometimes that cheats us out of watching God provide. This post is a wonderful reminder of how much our homemaking can bless our family. Thank you :)