Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The Home Arts

Patchwork Quilt




Buy at AllPosters.com



I have a darling, old singer sewing machine. It sits in an antique cabinet. It is so pretty, and reminds me of something one would see in a museum. I remember sewing little dresses for my girls when they were 4 and 5 years old. I wanted to have those dresses finished quickly so I stayed up late into the night and worked on them. The fabric was black with pink roses all over it. I also made them matching hair ribbons, and everything was trimmed with white eyelet lace. I enjoyed sewing for my babies. It gave me such a warm feeling.

I have baked lots of bread over the years. My favorite is Italian. I used to make it with a big pot of homemade tortellini. Everyone loved this old fashioned, homemade supper. I enjoy mixing up dough and working with my hands to make food for my family. I love to serve it for them and see them smile. I love to hear how much they enjoy my cooking.

I have taught my children how to mend their clothes. Whenever they have a rip, I see them with my sewing box, fixing their own clothes and it makes me so proud.

My Mother taught me how to iron and do laundry. When I was a young girl, I was responsible for my own clothes. We had an enclosed porch on the side of our house, on the second floor. I could stand out there, near the dryer, and iron my skirts. We had lots of windows with a view of Boston Harbor. I loved watching the boats go by while I did my work.

These are just some of the many home arts. When we are working around the home, for our families, we are truly living a life that nourishes the soul. It is such a blessing to care for our loved ones.

May we all do it with a cheerful smile and a grateful heart.

Blessings
Mrs. White

2 comments:

Nicole {tired, need sleep} said...

What a beautiful post! This is the joy and peace we should all feel when taking care of our homes and families... so sad that it's rare to come by these days. Thank you for sharing!

The Crazy Mom said...

So, I have to know, do you have a "Boston Accent?"