Sunday, December 19, 2021

A Quiet Christmas

Library of Congress:  A snowy afternoon in Vermont, 1940.


Early this evening, I bundled up in my scarf and coat. I put on my fur-lined boots and gloves. Then I went outside with my husband for a quiet, winter walk on the grounds of our Estate.  The snow was falling gently around us as we looked at the Christmas lights on our house.   These are wonderful days, of the Christmas season, in our rural village.

This year I want to have a quiet Christmas.  The world around us will be shut out.  Inside our home there will be noise and a bustle of activity. This is the pleasant sound of family.  But the stresses of the culture and the troubles of the world will not be a part of our Christmas. We will have an old time rest - of joy and peace and happiness. 

If one wants to be happy, one must do happy things.  I am going to put on my holiday apron and bake a white cake with chocolate frosting.  This will be a special treat for the evening.  Tomorrow I will make sugar cookies using my bell-shaped cookie cutter.  Then I will make old fashioned Christmas fudge.  

I have a CD of an orchestra playing carols. The volume is low and provides a cheery background noise as I go about my housekeeping.  I hear "O Holy Night" and "O Come, Come, Emanuel" by the Philadelphia Orchestra. It sounds lovely.

May God bless our homes with peace and joy this Christmas.

Blessings

Mrs. White

 

 From the Archives -

Always Remember - The House Comes First.


We Must Learn  - To Earn and Not to Spend.

Essential Frugality -  A New England Winter on a Small Income.

 

 

 





 



12 comments:

Mrs. Crane said...

God bless you and your family! I was feeling sad because I had COVID, and a fractured foot, so no shopping or visiting, but dr just released me to spend Christmas with family. I’m so grateful! Merry Christmas dear friend.
Anita

Anonymous said...

Mrs. White,

Thank you for the reminder that we have a choice about what, or how much, we let the world into our lives. I plan on making a good time this week too! Many Christmas blessings to you and your family.

God bless!

Sarah

Deanna said...

Merry Christmas!
d

gail said...

Blessings to you and your family Mrs White.
Here In our part of Australia we are having a very quiet Christmas. Just the two of us, however that is nice. It has been a year of hospital visits for me so we are being very cautious and not really mixing although we are back at church now but we do wear masks.
I hope you have a joy filled Christmas.
Gail. 🇦🇺

Linda said...

Merry Christmas Mrs White, your plans sound delightful and very peaceful. I can almost taste that fudge (smile). Our Christmas will also be a quiet one at home, with some of our children and grandchildren coming over. Thank you for all your lovely words of encouragement this year. May God Bless you and your family in the New Year too ~ Linda

Marsha said...

Merry Christmas to my precious internet friend! I pray that you and yours will have a GREAT celebration of our precious Lord's birth. Blessings upon blessings to you and yours! Love, Marsha

Esther said...

Merry Christmas! Your post is encouraging me to enjoy this special time of year, and as a homemaker we can put it into action. Although we do have stress coming in from the world, we can close the door and enjoy what God has blessed us with. I live in Northern California, where there is much political and economic upheaval. I am going to focus on the Lord, and my home and have a quiet homemade Christmas. I will find that lovely music and let love and peace be the prime visitors. God Bless and thank you Mrs. White.

Amelia said...

Oh! Beautiful!

Everything sounds just wonderful...Just wonderful.

Merry Christmas! (I was just eyeing my bell-shaped cookie cutter...) Hmmm...

Unknown said...

Blessings to you my dear Mrs.White and family !! Just the reminder of having a "quiet Christmas" is just what the doctor ordered i believe for every person right now, especially. And that can be had if so choose. I have been watching old footage of "Little House on the Prarie" and how Ma would keep a peaceful home in every circumstance That takes courage and wisdom and determination. But so so worth it !! It gives stability to the family and rest. Much love to you always and Merry Christmas to All!! xo

Anonymous said...

Your Christmas plans inspire me! Thank you for sharing them and for encouraging the peace this season should offer. I am praying for a most blessed Christmas for you and your family and may God bless you in the New Year.
Love,
Rebecca

Elizabethd said...

It will be a very quiet Christmas here also. The virus is raging in enlgnad and we are being so very careful. So any gatherings are being postponed. But together we will still know the peace of our Lord's birth as we celebrate quietly.

Simply Handmade Farmhouse said...

Mrs White, Amen, to a quite Christmas with out the world! It all sounds wonderful! May God Blessings be with your family this New Year!