Tuesday, August 23, 2022

Peaceful Recreation in Rural Vermont

Photograph taken by one of Mrs. White's children, in Vermont.


There is not a lot of traffic here in rural Vermont. I don't see a lot of crowds. But we do get tourists who come here for the peaceful recreation and the quiet sense of restoration from their visits.

The other day one of my grown children went canoeing on one of our local lakes. Photographs were taken with a view directly from the canoe!  I have been given permission to share a couple of these with you. 

Photograph taken by one of Mrs. White's children. View from the canoe, in Vermont.

What a peaceful, lovely time this must have been!  There are hiking trails here, places to paddle-boat, canoe, swim, camp, and enjoy a boat ride.  Yet, there is no city traffic in this mountain region. This is what makes it a retreat!

On summer days, I will be outside, walking on the grounds of our humble Estate.  We will see bicyclists going by, in groups of twos or threes. These are people who ride over from the Canadian border and enjoy our Vermont scenery.  Once in a while, we will see a small group of people walking by our property, carrying a kayak, as they head over to enjoy the river.  People find lovely places to fish, to walk, and to run as they enjoy the beautiful scenery. But the sight of them is rare, in this quiet region, much like the occasional vision of a deer, walking in the serenity of nature.

Many times I will be outside with some of the grandchildren and we will see some interesting sight go by. The other day it was a line of classic, vintage cars, driving along, as if in their own parade. Sometimes a long line of motorcycles will go by to the delight of the children. We see farm vehicles go by on a regular basis, but to see bicyclists, vintage cars, and people holding kayaks, bring us a sense of wonder and happiness. We love to see people enjoying a wonderful time of recreation.

Personally, I don't get out much. But the happiness I find in nature, from our own home, is enough for me. I watch the flowers and gardens as they grow and flourish throughout the summer months. I enjoy the beauty of green grass which carpets the Estate grounds.  I hear a rushing sound of the river, which borders our property. I hear birds singing sweetly all around the property. Sometimes, just the quiet sound of rain brings me a sense of peace and joy.

I am happy for those who can get out and do things. I enjoy hearing about their adventures. But for me, the restfulness of home and the ordinary tasks of homemaking are what provide me with a gentle recreation that blesses my soul.

 

Blessings

Mrs. White

From the Archives

Making the Most of Humble Means - Poor and Pretty Living.

Contentment - A Covered Bridge and Graceful Living in Rural Vermont

A Peaceful Routine - The Four Little Tasks of Home.

 - To find out more about this blog, or Mrs. White, please visit our About page. -



  For Encouragement in Christian Homemaking, order Mrs. White's book, "Homemaking For Happiness: Wonderful Days at Home."

In this book, you will find essays, articles, and diary entries about life in a Christian home.

Entries are arranged by season, and include:  "Keeping a Frugal Kitchen;" "Missing the Lilacs;" "An Evening Walk in the Garden;" "At Grandmother's House;" and "Chores for Grandchildren."

You will also find a few photographs showing a little of the local landscape.

Paperback, 307 pages. 









 



10 comments:

Linda said...

Dear Mrs White, its always such a joy to read your thoughts on life in Vermont, in your corner of the world. It really does sound peaceful, beautiful and relaxing. When I was a child and lived in a different part of New Zealand, I would look out our kitchen window as I dried the dishes and could see snow covered mountains in the distance. I always thought that was so pretty.
Regards daily life, I too don't get out much. I help my daughter three days a week with the children, visit my mum, get a few groceries and that's about the extent of my travels in the car most weeks. This all suits me fine too. We enjoy our quiet life and love being at home. I think its a real blessing from the Lord to find contentment in one's home. Blessings to you ~ Linda (New Zealand)

Elizabethd said...

It sounds idyllic Mrs white, so peaceful and calm.

Amelia said...

Yes Mrs. White, you wrote: "Personally, I don't get out much. But the happiness I find in nature, from our own home, is enough for me. I watch the flowers and gardens as they grow and flourish throughout the summer months." Me too, I too can so relate to this.

Thank you for the lovely post, I enjoy all of your posts...This one gave such sweet fellowship and comfort in a quiet way knowing other wives and Mimis are out there in peace unto the Lord and His Gifts. Love your descriptions!

Love, Amelia

Rebecca said...

Hello Mrs. White,
I wanted to stop in and thank you for sharing your heart and for communicating the contentment you have. It's a rare and precious thing, a woman who is content at home. Everyone, it seems, has to get out and away from home to be happy. Adventures must be had. But what if home was our adventure? What if the sweet joys around us were enough to fulfill us and give us all we really need? The society around us convinces us that home is just a stopping place for eating (sometimes) and sleeping. You, however, paint a different picture of total contentment with the blessings God has given you. He has been gracious to your home keeping heart and entrusted you with much beauty, peace and quiet. He knew you would enjoy it to it's fullest. He knew you would talk to Him as you walked about your place. He was pleased to place you where you are! I share a heart like yours. I live on some property and would be perfectly happy to never leave it! I too have five children who are beginning to sprout wings and fly. Most are too young yet but my oldest is driving now! He must go, go! Off to college already he is. But like you, I will be here when he gets home and from wherever he roams. I will be found at home by all my children when they too must go out into the big, wide world. Thankfully, I am not made to go out there and scratch up a living. Thankfully the Lord has provided through my hard working husband and I do my best to care for him and the family right here at home. I enjoy the tasks of homemaking and my own quiet surroundings. But to be honest, I think I would be the very same way if I lived in an apartment in New York City! I love home and work hard to make it cozy, neat and warm. You have always inspired me and when I need a dose, I pull out one of your books! Treasures for my girls and maybe my son's wives one day... Thank you for sharing in your gentle ways the contentment you have found and the joy you experience in the everyday living at home. It encourages my heart so much! God bless. you dear Mrs, White.
Gratefully,
Rebecca in KS

Janine said...

Beautiful scenery! Your property sounds so lovely and relaxing. We are 20 minutes from the ocean, so of course I miss the mountains. Plus, there are too many people here to ever have a truly relaxing time because to and from there's traffic. I enjoy my online visits with you!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Mrs White for such a lovely post! For those that enjoy life at home, it is so nice to find reading that supports this pursuit! Thank you!

Leslie McKinley said...

Thank you for the lovely photos ad gentle reminder.
We live on the edge of a small city after many years in the country. We miss the quiet, but are blessed to be a light in our neighborhood. We love to sit on our porch as a lot of foot-traffic passes to the nearby mini-mart.

Blessings, Leslie

Amelia said...

I was reading your book, "Homemaking for Happiness" last night before I turned in for my night's sleep and read about the Old Time Revival Hour. I've always meant to try that when I see it on the blog here...I'm a slow-pokie but today was determined to go hear that and I have a Dr. Fuller program on now. Delightful! Thank you for the recommendation. God bless you friend, ~Amelia

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

It sounds like you live in a beautiful, peaceful place.

Ashley said...

Thank you for sharing these pretty pictures. I long to be one of those people who can get out to see and do things. Sadly, circumstances make me unable to most of the time. I am learning to appreciate the tastes I can have of beautiful places through what others share of their place in life. Your contentment is an encouragement to me. Thank you!