Friday, March 3, 2023

A Book of Encouragement

Library of Congress: Rural winter morning with a church in the background, by W. C. Bauer, 1800's.


We need more peace and cheer.  We are often encouraged by little quotes, devotions, and uplifting thoughts.  It is common to read digital words rather than having a book or paper in our hands. These digital words may be a quote we read on a website or on social media.  We appreciate the words, think about them, and then we tend to forget them.

It would be helpful to have a little book in which to write down these thoughts and quotes. Each time we read something which cheers us along, perhaps we could write them in a journal.  It could be called our "Book of Encouragement."

I will share with you some of the quotes I have read in the past as an example: 

------------------------------- 


 "I have a very childlike and simple faith. I don't worry about the future. I just do what God calls me to do now. . . . Spend your life serving others. It's not about us."

 - Barbara Curtis (mother of 12) 

 

"There is no panic in Heaven. God has no problems, only plans." 

- Corrie ten Boom

 

"What are trials but angels to beckon us nearer to Him?" 

- Mrs. Elizabeth Prentiss


------------------------------

We need time for quiet reflection. I can just imagine sitting by the window, looking out at the beautiful landscape and writing these uplifting thoughts into a notebook. Perhaps we can find something lovely to write every day.  It may be a comforting verse or a simple quote we read somewhere.  This daily work of filling in the pages with beautiful thoughts to think about will someday result in an entire book to cheer us along.

I am thinking about the old days in the country. There are quiet mornings with just the sound of the singing of sparrows.  Thoughts of lilies of the field can bring rest to a contented heart.  We do not need to be cast down by the trials and troubles of life. We can ponder the thoughts of goodness and blessings. This will bring joy to the heart.

Blessings

Mrs. White

From the Archives -

Ideas to minimize stress - Peace be Upon this House.

Tea Time with Grandchildren - The Importance of Formal Ceremony at Home.

What happened when I rushed ahead - Waiting for the Door to Be Opened.




Mrs. White's special book for homemakers:"Introduction to Home Economics:  Gentle Instruction to Find Joy in Christian Homemaking."

Find stories of home life, with photographs of my home, in this encouraging book. 

 Paperback, 200 pages. 



- To find out more about this blog, or Mrs. White, please visit our About page. -



 

 

10 comments:

Jennifer Williams said...

Mrs. White,
This is a wonderful idea. I keep a journal of scriptures that bring me encouragement and I add to it several times a week. It would be lovely to also add quotes that encourage me. I have often thought of adding pretty pictures cut from magazines or printed from the internet, such as peaceful country scenes, to my scripture journal as well. My family is currently going through a difficult season, and I find myself turning to my scripture journal several times a day to lean on God's word for comfort. The quotes and maybe some pictures would be nice also. Thank you for sharing. :-)

Glenda said...

Thank you, Mrs. White, for another encouraging post. My husband and I are in our mid-70's and we grew up in a very different world than exists today. Stress seems to be swarming like a angry hornet's nest that has been poked. We long for the days before so much technology in every aspect of life.
Days that were much slower, neighbors were visiting in person, prayer was said before meals, reading a book in hand was a favorite pastime. Those days are gone, not to return. My heart breaks for the youth of today.
Your suggestion of a journal of uplifting quotes, poems, and pictures sounds like a very good idea. A nice idea, also, as a gift for someone special that would appreciate such an item.
May God bless your family and home abundantly.

Mrs. Crane said...

I’ve kept a book of encouraging quotes for a long time. I like to read them in the morning and before bed with my tea. Thank you for sharing.

Marilyn said...

I have a little notebook of encouraging thoughts.
Sometimes from sermons or books and, no surprise,from you too. I can't begin to tell you how wonderful it is to read your blog. You are such a blessing.

Jenny of Elefantz said...

Dear Mrs White, just last year I began a book of quotes, for as you have said, we often times come across uplifting and thought provoking words written by others, and rather than have them disappear from mind once a website or e-book is closed, having a record of them gathered over time is a wonderful resource.
Blessings to you and your family,
Jennifer

Elizabethd said...

I do write down occasional quotes, ans then tend to forget where they are, so a notebook would be a good idea. Corrie Ten Boom's writings were so inspirational.

Homemaker'sThoughts.blogspot.com said...

Mrs. White - I try to do this but not on a regular basis. You have motivated me to be better with it. : ) I really think that filling our minds with uplifting quotes (and scripture) is such a good idea. Thank you for your post! Mary S.

Amelia said...

The painting is beautiful, that sky...

Thank you for those quotes and what a wonderful idea!

It seems I'm in need of encouragement lately so this was a much needed reminder. : )

Bless you Mrs. White, ~Amelia

Debbie said...

I have a composition notebook that is decorated with scrapbook paper, where I write inspirational quotes, scriptures and thoughts and prayers. I love to go back and read things that were important enough to write down each year. That's where I got most of the stories for my latest book.

Pam Richardson said...

This is an idea I have been meaning to do for way too long. Thanks for the reminder and the beautiful quotes you shared! Happy Monday!

Pam @ Everyday Living