Tuesday, April 18, 2023

Remembering Dr Charles Stanley

A Dr. Charles Stanley Sermon on Mrs. White's DVD player (set up on a hotel bed).



It has just come to my attention that Dr. Charles Stanley, of In Touch Ministry, has gone home to be with the Lord.  He was 90 years old.  It happened early this morning. I am deeply saddened.  There is a feeling of loss of a much appreciated elder who spent his life dedicated to teaching us the precious Word of God.

Yet I knew this would happen someday.  I am incredibly grateful for his example, his ministry, his preaching and teaching, and his dedication to encourage us all in a closer walk with the Lord.

I will share a few quick highlights of what a blessing he has been in my life:

1. When I was a teenager, my father had me watch Dr. Stanley's sermons on television on Sunday nights.  We watched this together and were very encouraged by his messages.

2. I have read some of his books, bought several of his sermons on CD and DVD, over many years, and have been greatly helped and uplifted by his work.

3. After my husband had a disabling accident in 2015 and was no longer able to work, we started doing a daily Bible time together.  Later, we added a weekly church time here at home. Each Sunday afternoon we watch a sermon on Television by Dr. Stanley. We have been doing this for years and have not missed a single week.

 This has helped provide much spiritual growth and godly wisdom in both of our lives. I cannot put into words how grateful I am for this weekly spiritual nourishment which has helped our lives so much!

 

Photograph: Scene of a farm in Vermont near Mrs. White's Home.

 

4. For the past couple of years, as I have had to travel to a hospital, in the next state, for one of the family who needs medical care, I have brought along a portable DVD player.  We have had to stay overnight at hotels in order to be close to the hospital.  Since I don't watch regular television (or the commercials) we use a portable DVD player instead.  I always bring along a Sermon on DVD of Dr. Stanley. In the photograph, at the top of this post, you will see the sermon titled, "Distracted from Godly Meditation," which was one of the messages I watched on one of our trips.  

We are getting ready to take another one of these medical trips and will stay at a hotel. As is my usual custom, I will bring a Dr. Stanley sermon along with me to watch. 

Part of Mrs. White's collection of sermons by Dr. Charles Stanley.


There is much more I could say, but most of all I am so thankful for the teaching of old fashioned Biblical living that helps us along the difficult path of life. 

 May we continue to seek the Lord for every aspect of our lives. May we be willing servants in the work.  And then, when we go home for good, may we hear the blessed words, which I have no doubt were heard by Dr. Charles Stanley, ". . .Well done, thou good and faithful servant . . . enter thou into the joy of thy Lord." (Matthew25:21)

 

Photograph: A view of the sky in Vermont near Mrs. White's Home.

 

Blessings

Mrs. White

 

From the Archives -

What Many of us Crave - An Ordinary Life at Home.

Finding Genuine Happiness at Home - Peace be Upon This House.  

Careful thrift in the Home - Reducing Expenses.

 

 - To find out more about this blog, or Mrs. White, please visit our About page. -

 

A Peaceful devotional, Reprinted from a rare miniature book from the 1800's.

"Daily Food for Christians." 

 ISBN: 978-1956616064

Includes one year's worth of daily devotions. Preface by Mrs. White. 

Originally published by the American Tract Society. We have brought this book back into print through The Legacy of Home Press.

 Paperback, 215 pages. 

Excellent and highly recommended! 

 For more information, and to see the special features of this book, please visit The Legacy of Home Press blog

*  This same book was owned by 1800's author, Mrs. Elizabeth Prentiss. *

 




11 comments:

stephanie said...

I loved Dr. Stanley with all of my heart and soul. He was my favorite minister. I am crying as I write this.

Amelia said...

Oh my goodness...I had no idea, oh dear. Surely this must have shaken you to the core and hurt your heart horribly, we just don't expect or think of these things, Charles Stanley will be sorely missed by many I'm sure and my words here seem very inadequate. It's shocking. This is the first I've heard of it. I just told my husband and he said he was getting ready to tell me.

Maybe our older Christian radio station will say something on this, I usually put that on at night as I get ready washing up.

I loved reading the poignant words here of how you and your husband listen to Charles Stanley, that is precious. We too do home church too. I know your heart and soul must be shaken, I remember when David Wilkerson passed away suddenly it was shattering to my spirit.

Beautiful and encouraging hymn you have sweetly and properly posted...Just beautiful and encouraging to me, it just really hit home.

As the Steve Green song, one of my favorites, 'Find us Faithful' goes...may He find us faithful.

This is very painful for you I'm sure, it's very sad to our heart as well, please know I will be thinking and praying for you and your husband and your upcoming trip. Psalms 91. Please share more on your memories of Charles Stanley any time you like, it's healthy to do so I have found.

Love, Amelia


Anonymous said...

Beloved in this household as well. Beautiful soul.

Homemaker'sThoughts.blogspot.com said...

While working in the kitchen yesterday, I was listening to Charles Stanley (which I do quite often) not yet knowing that he had passed. When I found out I was just so saddened yet I know when he entered the gates of heaven he heard the words "good and faithful servant" - I'm so glad that his words live on in all the DVD's, YouTube, and his many books and Bible studies. He will definitely not be forgotten!!!

Regina said...

I loved Dr. Stanley's teachings. He was so gifted and knew the Word. I will miss his monthly newsletters.

Marilyn said...

Oh Mrs. White. Words can't express how this has shaken me, but one thing sure he will be with our Lord and.Savior
It will be strange without him. He always was there either in books or sermons to encourage and enlighten. Recordings and books do have him living on in our lives and hearts.

Jane said...

I had no idea. He had such a gentle spirit. I am sorry for your loss of a spiritual leader. Fortunately for us, his sermons live on. I'm sure he has already heard "Well done, My good a faithful servant".

Hugs
Jane

Christine said...

Lovely post and tribute to a wonderful man of God. When I heard the news, I immediately burst out crying as if it were a member of my own family. I have listened to Dr Stanley for years. He may have not had his own father with him growing up, but I’m sure he never realised what a “father figure” he was to so many of us who did not have a Godly example.
He will I’m sure, be welcomed in heaven with open arms, though to those of us not gone Home yet, we shall miss him very much.
God bless you,
Christine

Lucinalva said...

Bom dia, querida
Que Deus conforte os familiares e amigos de Dr. Stanley, obrigada por compartilhar mensagens edificantes, a Palavra de Deus é um rico alimento, um forte abraço.

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

For years, we listened to him while preparing for our local church service. He will be missed.

living from glory to glory said...

Hello Dear,
When I heard the news I was so saddened! I did order a few of his older devotionals! Hope you are having a lovely Spring in Vermont!
Sending a prayer and a Happy May Day greetings
Roxy xoxo