Thursday, April 4, 2024

Old Fashioned Snow Storm

The front porch of Mrs. White's house on a snowy spring day.

 

 In the old days, before there were television sets, I can imagine that mothers knew very little about what was happening in the world.  There were certainly newspapers and radio messages, but the news was not constant.  Mother was focused on her family and the immediate needs of her household.

The biggest concern was for shelter, food, and clothing.  This was all provided by hard work, prayers, and the spiritual blessing of a beautiful Christian life.

In humble homes, where there is little money, one had to be very careful about their resources.   In our old New England village, there is a strong sense of Yankee Ingenuity, where we spend as little money as possible.  Snow storms and the winter chill, for long periods of time, make us understand the importance of stocking up, being prepared, and using money for necessities rather than for luxuries.  

There is a great deal of snow outside right now.  Schools are cancelled. There is little traffic on the roads.  There are white-out conditions making it difficult to drive.  We are cozy indoors and grateful that our wood pellet stove is working again.  It is a blessing to feel warm and safe.

 While we are enduring storms outside, we are also experiencing trials and stresses within the family.  Late in the afternoon, as I was feeling overcome with the many burdens I was feeling, I remembered how people often say, "Remember to breathe," as if we forget and hold our breath when under stress.  I realized what is just as important, if not more so, is to, "take time to pray."  In the midst of the greatest worry and oncoming tears, if I stop to remember to pray, I have found rest from my troubles and can recover a sense of joy through it all.  We must never forget, when facing difficulty, to simply stop in our tracks and just pray.

Yesterday we were doing some minor repairs on one of the back rooms. After I washed a lace curtain, I noticed there was a hole in the front.  I put it on the back of a kitchen chair to fix later.   Once I put aside my troubles and let go of my burdens, I settled down with my sewing box and quietly and gently mended the hole in the lace.  The simple act of doing this domestic work soothed my heart and made me realize that all is well despite how I was feeling.  Moods come and go and so do stresses. They will not last. When we remember to lean on the Lord, we are sheltered and safe. We are guided through every trouble.

Sometimes we have to remember that trials will often lead us (and our families) to something far better than we ever imagined. Everything will be okay. The Lord will always take care of His children.

Today, we are snowed in and safe.  I am not sure what is going on in the world because I don't follow the news. But I am told there will be a tremendous amount of people coming here to Vermont for the solar eclipse. I need to get to the store to stock up on food, supplies, and water before the crowds arrive. Even though I don't know much about world events or politics, I am as busy as I can possibly be just focusing on serving the needs of my family. I want to make sure we are all loved and cared for as we go through the many difficulties we face in daily life.

 It is a blessing to be an old time homemaker and just focus on keeping house and providing a great sense of love and security for the family.

Blessings

Mrs. White

From the Archives -

News of Mother's Work - Missionary Letters from Home.

Finding Rest - Peace be Upon this House.

The Example of My Mother - A Home Without Clutter.

 

- To find out more about this blog, or Mrs. White, please visit our About page. -

 


Mrs. White's special book for homemakers:"Introduction to Home Economics:  Gentle Instruction to Find Joy in Christian Homemaking."

Find stories of home life, with photographs of my home, in this encouraging book. 

 Paperback, 200 pages.

 

 

 

 

9 comments:

Martha Jane Orlando said...

When we pray to our Lord, He is sure to remove any doubts or worries from us. Putting Him first in our lives is a sure way to make everything right in our sanctuary of home.
Blessings!

Anonymous said...

Mrs. White: Thank you for the wonderful blessing of encouragement you continue to be in my life! I agree that simple acts of domestic work not only soothe my heart but bring joy to my busy days! May we all remain sheltered and safe as we pray and lean on the Lord. He is so faithful! Diane

stephanie said...

Mrs. White and fellow commenters. I have had two breast surgeries for cancer, and have not been able to sleep for months. I hardly know what I am doing for lack of sleep. My mind keeps racing. Thank you for reminding us to stop and pray!!

Wanda said...

So beautiful are the hands of a women with a needle and thread. A lost art in our modern world. If something has a hole....toss it, and spend money on another. How wrong is this!!

Your snow is beautiful, but the lessons learned are so true.

Thanks again for sharing the simple things in life that make it so rewareding.

Praying is easy sitting and sewing...they seem to go together.

Elizabethd said...

Those little moments, when we take time to mend, to stitch, to repair, are so valuable. It's not only the article that is repaired, it is ourselves also, with time taken away from the hubbub of life.

Debbie said...

Mrs. White, so beautifully said. I have had similar thoughts lately - just focus on my family and my small circle of friends. I can't save the world from itself, but I can contribute to these amazing humans that God has given me and make sure they feel loved and cared for.

Jenny of Elefantz said...

"Moods come and go and so do stresses. They will not last. When we remember to lean on the Lord, we are sheltered and safe. We are guided through every trouble."
So very true, and a blessed reminder to all of us - thank you. I am so glad your wood pellet stove is working again! Praise the Lord.
Bless you all,
Jennifer

Antheia said...

I'm so glad you are warm and safe. I am in sunny California but we have our own concerns. We haven't had snow since I was in high school. I am greatly inspired by your writing, Mrs. White. I am a disabled homemaker and can't do a whole lot. My husband wants me to go back to work, but I can't, literally. I have to learn to curb my spending so we can be prepared for whatever challenges lie ahead. God bless you and your ministry on this blog.

Thank you~
Teresa V.

Linda said...

Dear Mrs White,
I needed to read this piece of writing so much tonight. Unlike you I have been totally consumed for many months with news of the world, heart broken over it all. Many times I've been in tears, on my knees and pouring my heart out to the Lord. But I also see some wisdom in pulling back from it all. I know there is not much physically I can do, but I can pray. I have not let it interfere with my role as wife and homemaker, but it has left me emotionally drained many many times. I need to your quiet spot to help remind me of where my main priorities lay. Big heartfelt blessings to you ~ Linda