![]() |
| Our view of a Rose Garden at the Aldrich house in 2025, Vermont. |
To have a home that is loved and cared for spreads a light of goodness to others. I want to be known for diligently taking care of my house and family. I want things to be neat and clean and tidy. Yet I have noticed that the work inside is easier to manage than what is happening outdoors.
There is a great deal of work to maintain the grounds of one's home. We are constantly battling weeds, overgrowth of invasive plants, and doing our very best to keep a separation showing that which is loved and care for, versus that which is wild and unkept. It is like a battle with the ways of the world. We labor to keep things restful, peaceful, and lovely. We fight off the bad and the destructive. Yet it is a quiet and purposeful endeavor. It is done with faith and a consistent routine of daily duties.
In the midst of all the work, we find purpose and a creative outlet for the moments of our lives. We have been walking the grounds here, each day, checking the gardens, tending the plants and trees, and enjoying the beautiful flowers. The gentle breeze brings refreshment. We take breaks to gaze at the river bordering our property. We sit on the benches during our walks, on the grounds of this humble old estate. We look at the landscape and are grateful for that which we have been given to take care of. It is a blessing to have a home to keep.
There are still many fall projects we need to accomplish to get ready for winter. There is a section of our property that has been greatly neglected over the years. One can only do so much, we have come to realize. Our plan is to let some of this neglect continue, as we build up our strength, and then when spring appears in the next season, I will help as much as possible to allay the invasion of destructive plants that our trying to take over our land. If we stay on top of the work, I am told, it can be held at bay. But when we step away, neglect the work, and let the wild growth in, it will begin to destroy the beauty of our property. I want to be found faithful in doing my part, despite human weakness and frailty, to do the precious work that has been placed into my hands.
The work of taking care of a home and property is difficult when suffering with pain and poor health. Yet the joy it brings, even when our efforts seem trivial, is rewarding. I am thankful and happy when I can do a little work each day. These little efforts, over a long period of time, will eventually bring good results.
Sometimes I think of the little sparrow. It gathers debris, leaves, and twigs to form a little nest for a home. This tiny effort is then blessed by the Lord, and the sparrow is taken care of. I may not be able to do as much as I would like, in the care and keeping of our land, but the Lord will bless the effort.
Blessings
Mrs. White
From the Archives -
Something we all need - Peace Be Upon This House.
The example of my Parents - Minding my own Housekeeping Business.
The Reality - Retirement Planning for the Poor.
- To find out more about this blog, or Mrs. White, please visit our About page. -
Help For Homeschooling:
Seeking a Thrifty and Simple Life: Encouragement for Christian Homeschooling by Mrs. White
Paperback, 112 pages
As you read this book, I hope you get a sense that, no matter what is going on in the world, every home can be a homeschool.



0 comments:
Post a Comment