Sunday, July 14, 2024

Restful Projects at Home

Seasonal room for writing at Mrs. White's house.


We have been enduring an unusual heatwave.  It used to feel like it was much cooler here in the mountains of Vermont in the summer months.  I am not prepared for such a long stretch of hot weather.  This has affected the type of things we are doing at home.  When some of the grandchildren are here for a visit, we stay in the cooler rooms, by the fan.  I am not baking as much. I am limiting kitchen work.  We need to stay cool and as comfortable as possible.

One afternoon, as grandchildren were here, I set them up with little projects. The boys were content with a variety of toys and games.  But grand-girl wanted something more interesting to do.   I got out my sewing box and scrap fabric. I set her up with a little chair and a tray-table for a work desk.  She was delighted!  I had to demonstrate how to set up the needle for hand-sewing.  This was something I had already taught her about a year ago, but she had forgotten. She quickly got the hang of it and was busy making little bags and such to hold miniature toys.  Before the children went home that day, I said to grand-girl, "The next time you come over, bring some of the stuffed toys that have holes in them and I will show you how to fix them."  Sure enough, on the next visit, she brought three little toys that needed repairs.  She got right to work after a simple explanation from me of the easiest way to fix them.  She did a wonderful job and was very happy.

When we do not have company, I have been working on a little book project. I sit in our seasonal room by the french doors.  It is much cooler in here than other rooms in the house. I have a fan nearby and my small computer desk.  I work on an old laptop computer which doesn't have internet access.  I have been typing nearly everyday as I work on completing this project. It is a little different than other books I have done. I hope it will be ready next month. 

I am feeling incredibly worn out.  Yet I feel so very blessed and grateful.  It is so nice just to do little projects at home and enjoy the family.   

I lost a recent post here about the flooding we had.  All is well now. We are tired but we are okay. Thank you for your encouraging words and prayers! We are grateful!

Blessings

Mrs. White

From the Archives -

Advice for a Happy Home - Peaceful Living by Rules.

Careful thrift in the Home - Reducing Expenses.

A Peaceful Old Fashioned Bible Time - The Prentiss Study


 - To find out more about this blog, or Mrs. White, please visit our About page. -


  For Encouragement in Christian Homemaking, order Mrs. White's book,

 "Homemaking for Happiness: Wonderful Days at Home."

You will find essays, articles, and diary entries about life in a Christian home.

Entries are arranged by season, and include:  "Keeping a Frugal Kitchen;" "Missing the Lilacs;" "An Evening Walk in the Garden;" "At Grandmother's House;" and "Chores for Grandchildren."

You will also find a few photographs showing a little of the local landscape.

Paperback, 228 pages.



 

 

10 comments:

Kirsty Cardinale said...

Glad to hear you are doing OK, and managing to keep cool.
Kirsty Cardinale

Kathy Jackson said...

It’s really hot here in South Mississippi too. I am only leaving the house to go to church or to visit my son’s family. But I know that soon, the air will take on that gentle coolness that lets us know that autumn is on the way! Hold on! ❤️

Mrs. K. Hagema said...

Dear Mrs. White,
Like you, we are in a northern area and experiencing a much warmer summer than ever! We took a day to go around to our local farm stands for foods that were cooling and didn’t need cooking. I thank the Lord everyday for the electricity for our fans and my refrig/freezer! The time I have spent putting up grains and beans in the freezer is paying off. I haven’t had to run my oven or cooktop for quite awhile. I was prepared for summer for once:). Like you, I have an illness which puts me in bed at times, so when I am well, I try to make use of that time wisely. I’m glad to hear you are coping and very excited for your new book project! Hoping your basement woes are over and this note finds you dry!
Mrs. K. Hagama

Tracy said...

I am glad that you got through the flooding ok and are able to enjoy time with family. The weather is strange on this side of the pond too. We had a long, grey, wet Winter and Summer has turned out to be much the same. I have yet to take the quilt off our bed and have the heating on - in July! The upside of this is that my roses have been wonderful this year and the garden still looks lush and green, rather than dry and frazzled.

Elizabethd said...

How lovely to help your grand daughter with a sewing project. I remember teaching mine when she was about 9 years old, to make a little patchwork mat as a present for her mother.

Martha Jane Orlando said...

Our heat down here in Georgia would be unbearable without air conditioning. I'm glad you all are drying out from the rains and staying as cool as you can, Mrs. White. Your granddaughter sounds like such a charming, lovely young lady.
Blessings to you all!

Rebecca Knox said...

It's always good to read your posts. I'm glad you and your family are okay after the flooding and, like you, I am looking forward to cooler weather. I'm excited to hear that you have a new book coming out. I am already looking forward to reading it! Have a lovely day and a great week ahead! Blessings! ~Rebecca

Lady Locust said...

How wonderful to teach grand-girl how to stitch. You just might have opened her eyes to the awareness that things can be repaired rather than thrown out and life of course extended for that item.
We have had triple digits for a couple weeks and are looking at one more before we get a break. Unusually hot for sure.

Amelia said...

Oh yes, I know the feeling. Say hurricane anyone? The heat can be brutal here. Take care of yourself, it's important that we rest. I've felt particularly out of sorts lately with all that goes.

God bless you dear, ~Amelia

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

This has definitely been a hot summer for everyone. I hope you continue to cope well. Be blessed! Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage