Monday, June 17, 2019

A Day of Homemaking

Homemade bread at Mrs. White's Table


I have been trying to stay home as much as possible.  It is so much easier to do projects and cook and bake when one is not rushed, or worn out, from errands.  When I focus on staying home, things are slow -paced and peaceful.

I made homemade pizza this morning.  I made several for the freezer and some for the grandchildren, in case they stopped by during the lunch hour.  I had planned to make homemade wheat bread too, but didn't know if I could manage all the work.  I have not been to the store in several days and we were running out of many things. I have not made wheat bread for quite some time, but I thought it would be a good kitchen project.  By early afternoon it was time to start the bread.

Soon 4 of my sweet grand-babies arrived with their mother.  They had been at a friend's house for lunch and were delighted to see me making bread dough.  I had just started the batter.  They were so excited to watch. 

The children were, in fact, hungry.   They watched me knead the dough (for 10 tiring minutes!) and put the dough aside for the first rising.  I took some of the pizzas out of the freezer to make for the children.

The babies colored, told us stories, made us laugh, and were great helpers.   They enjoyed their 2nd lunch and then it was time for them to get back home.  We would see them again soon.

Throughout the day I worked on the dough and read about the Depression -era from a book called, "When The Banks Closed We Opened our Hearts."  This is an excellent book full of first- hand accounts of daily life with very little money.  It is so inspiring!

I kept looking out the window to see the beautiful landscape out front. I wanted to take a walk around the property, but didn't seem to have time.  There were two loaves of wheat bread baking in the oven. The scent was amazing! 

I finally told my husband I wanted to take a quick walk.  We checked the timer on the oven, found that we had exactly 8 minutes, and headed out to the back property.   We visited the strawberry garden, the river, the blueberry bushes, and our cucumber garden.  The afternoon sun was shining through the trees, glistening onto the green grass.  It was such a beautiful day.

I rushed back indoors in plenty of time to get the bread out of the oven.  After a short time of cooling, we were able to have a few pieces with butter. It was so good!

It is now late in the day and I have just a few little cleaning projects to do.  I am trying to rest as much as possible.  It is an ordeal to make food from scratch.  But if those are the only major things I do in a day, I can manage.  In just a little while, I will have a cup of tea and rest while watching "Little House on the Prairie," on DVD, for some old time inspiration in simple living.

Blessings
Mrs. White

From the Archives -

Marriage - When Groceries are the Presents.

Something to Strive for - A Cozy Humble Home.

What Many of Us Crave - An Ordinary Life at Home.






Find Home-keeping Inspiration, in Mrs.White's book - For The Love of Christian Homemaking.  Paperback, 274 pages.










An Invitation - Subscribe to The Legacy of Home and have it delivered directly to your email. 






10 comments:

ladypinktulip said...

I love these kind of simple days. They make up a joyful simple life. I do not leave my home much because of disability. I don't even mind because I love home so very much. Cooking from scratch is hard work. A true labor of love. I am so glad we can bless our families that way.
Kelly T.

living from glory to glory said...

Sounds like the perfect day! Blessings enjoy it all dear friend hugs Roxy

LeighSabey said...

Your day sounds lovely, Mrs. White. I am craving a nice long, quiet day at home! I'm sure that your grandchildren and their mother loved their second lunch at your house.

Mama Said No said...

Dear sweet lady, your post helps me to remember that by staying home more, I can devote my time to my most important audience--the family God has given me. No amount of praise from the many people I see when running errands, or who watch my YouTube channel and read my blog, can ever be as sweet as a simple "Dank you", from my adult son with special needs for my giving him a glass of tea, or a tired smile of thanks from my Redneck when I rub his back after he has worked 12 hours away from home so he can put food on our table. Thank you again for your simple words of wisdom.

Billie Jo said...

Mrs. White,
This post is why I so enjoy and appreciate you and your lovely blog.
Thank you for reminding us that those who love the quiet, simple, calm, home-loving life are not alone in this fast-paced, technology-loving world.
Have a cozy afternoon.

Deborah Montgomery said...

I looked up the book you mentioned. Sounds like a good read. I have an at-home day today (I usually do, but have been busy lately) and am enjoying the quiet so much. xo Deborah

Lana said...

My Mom taught us to knead bread when we were quite young and we loved it so maybe your grandchildren would like to help. We have gone to a bread machine since at our age we cannot knead dough without shoulder pain. We do love our home baked bread.

Angela said...

What a lovely description of the perfect day! The simple things in life are indeed the most meaningful and rewarding. Cooking from scratch is hard work as you said but worth every moment. I consider kneading bread my work out for the day :) Relaxing while watching Little House on the Prairie is something I enjoy very much. Gods blessings to you and your family.

Christine said...

If you weren't home, making bread, you wouldn't of have a special time making memories with your grand kids. Plus, you showed them that it's enjoyable to be home! You teach, even when you live your life.

Amelia said...

I loved my visit here...so sweet. I so agree with you, I have discovered to let some errands go a bit and wait a bit longer to go grocery shopping in smalltown although I love it there..It can wear me out! lol As you said, there are sweet, creative things to do at home and we can keep our energy levels at a nice level that way too without draining ourselves needlessly.

Such sweet times there at your home!

Love, Amelia