Monday, July 1, 2019

The Anniversary of a Family

The Parlour Table at Mrs. White's Home


Every year, on our wedding anniversary, I try to do something to make the day special. I want it to be different than all the other ordinary days.  We live very simply and do not have much money to spend, so it takes extra effort to be creative.

As my children have all grown up and we became grandparents, I started to realize that a wedding anniversary is not just about the husband and wife. It is about the legacy of the entire family.  It is a celebration of the family unit. 

I have a tiny book called, "Wedding Memories" that my husband's grandmother gave to us after we were married.  It has pictures of the simple ceremony. I have carried it with us through the years, through all the moves, through every trial, through sickness and health, and through the happy times.  I place this on the table each year to look through, and to remember.

About seven years ago, just before our first grandchild was born, I created a binder for pictures. I gave it a title "The History of Mr. and Mrs. White and their decedents."  The cover has a faded picture of my husband and I on our wedding day.   It has now been 31 years since we got married.  Our marriage has been blessed with five children and nine grandchildren.

Each year, I gather up a few pictures to add to this binder of family memories.  I realized today, as I was setting the table with a white tablecloth, some pretty fake flowers, a lovely candle, and my books of memories, that this is not just about a wedding.  It is about maintaining and working hard to keep the family strong. 

The family is something of great value.  It is something that requires a great deal of humility and of gratefulness.  We need to keep working on cheering each other up, encouraging one another, and being there when we are needed.  We need to value the family.  We need to keep building up the home and strengthening our relationships. 

How easily each one of us could fall! How easily an argument, or holding a grudge, could destroy the family! Life is too short.  We need to be on guard and always learning to be peacemakers.  My mother used to say, "There but by the grace of God, go I."  His mercy and long-suffering towards us and the blessing He gives us is what keeps us going each day.

There are good and bad days for all of us in this life.  But remember to celebrate and focus on the good and happy times.  An anniversary of the family is a wonderful day to look at old pictures and remember our parents and grandparents, as well as our children and grandchildren.  This helps bring security as we link the generations and see that our lives are about more than just today. 

The Christian home, with the Bible as the foundation of all we do, is an incredible blessing to all, in every generation.    A wedding anniversary is a good day to look back at all the times of answered prayer, of blessings, of beautiful memories, and recommit ourselves to trusting the Lord and of giving Him all our burdens.  This is what will bring us great peace and joy.

Blessings
Mrs. White

From the Archives -

The Beauty of Home - Living a Quiet Life.

Practical Encouragement - Feeding the Family.

For Hard Times in the Family - Take Back the Home!






Find Home-keeping Inspiration, in Mrs. White's book - For The Love of Christian Homemaking.  Paperback, 274 pages.










An Invitation - Subscribe to The Legacy of Home and have it delivered directly to your email. 






16 comments:

Melissa M. said...

Happy Anniversary, Mr. & Mrs. White! Thank you for giving another reason to keep fighting for our marriages! In the not so good days of our lives it seems so easy to think of leaving. How many of us have heard an aunt or cousin who was called a “saint” for staying in a difficult marriage? We should all want to leave a good Christian legacy!

Kathy said...

Thank you, Mrs. White, for another beautiful post and such wonderful words of wisdom! Happy Anniversary!

Josephine Rodrigue said...

What a lovely tribute to the years you and Mr. White have been Blessed with. My "Mr. Handsome and I have only been married for 9 years today. After being a Widow for 2 years God in all of His Mercy saw fit to Bless me with a New Love, when I thought my heart could NEVER love another God made a way and for this I am truly Blessed. Praying that ya'll day is a truly Blessed one. <3

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

Happy anniversary dearie. I wish more folks would join us in passing the thirty year mark. It's wonderful to have one husband to share your life with.

You've chosen a honorable way to celebrate.

Blessings,
Laura Lane of Harvest Lane Cottage

Joyful said...

Happy Anniversary to you.

Tammy said...

Happy Anniversary, Mrs. White! Thanks for sharing how you celebrate your marriage anniversary - I love that you make it a family celebration. My husband makes our anniversary a priority every year, and even though we don't make much money, we do something together. After 21 years, I am so appreciative of his doing this- it an anticipated holiday for us, like Christmas.
Have a wonderful day!

Cate Nunan said...

Congratulations, love and blessings from myself and my husband, who knows how much you both treasure your relationship and your family. It has been such an encouragement to us through the ups and downs of life, and we have made it to 21 this year. Your post was so full of wisdom and guidance as always, humility and love and God's grace are the only way to do it. Love, Cate Nunan and family

Jo said...

Happy Anniversary! This post rings so true. We need to value our family connections - our world is so fragmented any more.

Nana D said...

Happy Anniversary! My husband and I just celebrated this past Spring 36 years of marriage and it is so true that it is not just our celebration as a couple but also as a family. Thank you for your beautiful post today.

Sue said...

Happy Anniversary to you and Mr. White!
A long marriage and a happy family are a remarkable achievement. Congratulations and best wishes for many more years of both!

Mama Said No said...

Happy Anniversary to a lovely lady and her sweet family. May you continue to live for the Lord and inspire others to do the same.

Linda said...

Happy Anniversary :)
I enjoyed reading your whole post and heartily agree that it does take commitment, humility, forgiveness and being prepared to say your sorry. Oh it is such a joy to still have the husbands of our youth and to now enjoy grandchildren, what a gift. We are so blessed ~ Linda

Kristen said...

Mrs.White, just wanted to say what an inspiration and encouragement your blog has been to me. I have been a reader for years . I have two children ages 7 and 4 and on days when I feel discouraged in my homemaking I come and read your blog or pull out one of your books and read and it gives me the encouragement I need to keep going. It has been a great blessing to me. Thank you and God bless you and your family.

Jenny said...

Happy anniversary, Mrs. White! Your celebration may be simple, but the meaningless of it is truly profound. A gift to all in your family. I love how it is connecting you to both your grandmother and your children.

Christine said...

I couldn't agree more!
Passing down a legacy is very important.

Deanna said...

Bless you and happy anniversary.
d