Monday, October 10, 2022

Setting out Bibles for the House

An open Bible near a lamp at Mrs. White's house.

 

Everyone in our family has their own personal Bible, for their own personal use.  But we found a need for more public Bibles that could be freely shared.  Over time, I have acquired a few Bibles that anyone, at any time, can use at our house. I call them House Bibles.  We have some on a bookcase in the parlour.  One of us may be talking about some trouble, or offering comfort, when we remember something in Scripture.  We quickly get a House Bible and find the passage to share. It is a blessing.

Yesterday we were trying not to worry about some difficulty in our extended family.  We were reflecting on grace and mercy and kindness.  We mentioned how we all fail, we all make mistakes, and we all need the Lord each and every day.   I remembered something my husband and I had just read during devotions the previous night.  It was from Psalm 130 verse 3. We are grateful for the mercies of God.

To somehow counteract all the chaos and stress that is going on, both in the culture, and the common trials in our own lives, I decided to set up a little place to keep one of my House Bibles, for frequent readings.  I have a piece of furniture called a "dry sink."  On top of this, I placed a precious Bible.  On a shelf above, there is an open hymn book.  I also included my "Daily Food for Christians" book and a "Cheque Book" of daily readings by Charles Spurgeon.  I read from all of these each day. 

Each morning, when I get up, I turn on the lamp and open the Bible.  I find some special passages of comfort and instruction.  If these are not already highlighted, I get a yellow highlighter and mark the verses. Then I read them. I keep this book open all day long. Whenever I walk by the way, I stop and read the passages again.  If I need to be cheered up, I will go back over to this Bible and read the day's verses again. Sometime, throughout the day, I read from the Daily Food book. Then I pick up the hymn book and read or sing whatever special song I have picked for the day.  In afternoons, I read the day's selection from Charles Spurgeon.  When I am sitting in my house, or rising up, or walking by the way, I read something from this table, where I keep the House Bible and other books, to bring nourishment and comfort to my soul.

At the end of each day, I go over and read the highlighted verses once more. Then I close the Bible, turn off the lamp and go to sleep.

In the last couple of years we have had to make frequent trips out of state for urgent medical care. In our hotel room, I always open the drawer by the bed and found great comfort in seeing a Bible there.  It is like having a House Bible. 

May all of our homes have Bibles that are frequently read and cherished.

Blessings

Mrs. White

 

From the Archives -

My devotional book - Daily Food for Christians

 A Faithful, Virtuous Mother - Amazing Dedication.

The Reality - Retirement Planning for the Poor.



- To find out more about this blog, or Mrs. White, please visit our About page. -






Find Home-keeping Inspiration, in Mrs.White's book -Mother's Book of Home Economics .  Paperback, 312 pages.




 




13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Mrs. White, This is a wonderful idea and one I will put into practice today. May our Lord bless you and resolve the issue with your extended family. Ramona. NC

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful thing you do. Great inspiration to others. God bless you and yours!

Vee said...

Such a good idea and the dry sink is perfect acting almost like an altar or even a pulpit. I am afraid that I am more inclined to fire up the iPad and head for KingJamesBibleonline.org. I like your way better.

Anonymous said...

I love the idea! I carry one small new bible with me so if I lead someone to salvation, I can write my name inside so they remember who they were praying with, and the date of Salvation, which I feel will be important to them.
My own personal bible I've had many, many years has autographs of many preachers and evangelists I listened to in person, and of course, they always add their favorite verse. It is so precious to me!

Janine said...

That is lovely! I had never heard of a "dry sink." Did a pitcher a basin go there at one time?

I was given a BIG beautifully illustrated Bible from 1903 KJV, and a neighbor had given us a book pedestal that the Bible fits perfectly.

There are 3 in our family, and each morning after breakfast my son reads from this Bible, and my husband and I read a chapter from our versions. Then we discuss and have prayer.

Tonight is the first night we are also going to implement reading a chapter of Proverbs at 9:00 pm each night. Thanks for all of your encouragement!

Linda said...

Dear Mrs White, I love this idea so much !! Thank you for the inspiration ~ Linda

Marilyn said...

This is another of those..why didn't I think of that... moments
I do have a Bible available in my living room, and also some references available, but they way you have yours invitingly set up is great. I don't have a dry sink, but I do have the ideal spot for this idea. Thank you so much. The small lamp is a perfect addition also. Bless you, always.

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

A most excellent practice.
Often, I will listen to the Bible while working about the house. Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God.

Enjoy autumn!
Laura Lane
Carthage, Missouri

Amelia said...

I think this is a wonderful idea...In this day and time oh how we need the sweet and precious Word every where we see, doesn't the Bible say to post verses on the frontlets and everywhere basically in our home? I keep my two daily Bibles, one traditional and one living for reading through on my coffee table for the early morning quiet time along with my daily devotional Quiet Streams in the Desert. I like to read how you go about and just take in little by little the Bible and are encouraged by scriptures on Grace and Mercy.

Your home sounds just wonderful, what a peaceful place. I'm still reading your newest book and so enjoying it and being inspired by it. I'm not quite finished, it's in the honored place of my bedside. (I need to check out the hymns cd by Elvis Presley...That sounds neat).

The hymns are truly beautiful too, what a great idea.

I have a little coffee table in our living room with children's little Bible verse and prayer books on it with sweet old fashioned illustrations. That way our little grandbabies will be used to seeing these things and take a look and ponder and read or be read to.

Have a wonderful day, Mrs. White, I hope you are doing well and I wish you all the best. Blessings! Love, Amelia

Tammy said...

Lovely idea! I keep Bibles in each main room of our house, too. Son, 14, has his, one in guest room, one in living area, one in our room. Always one at hand.

Jenny of Elefantz said...

It’s a book of life, and you will find many bibles ready and waiting here in our little house. I like to keep one open on the kitchen bench through the day, as I find it’s a well used room in the home, sometimes with hours spent there during the day. As I peel vegetables, make bread, or create other nourishing things there on our bench, I can ponder a psalm, a passage or just one verse as I work.
God bless your family and home, Mrs White.

Debbie said...

I, too, have a dry sink! It was my husband's grandparent's and we've moved it with us from house to house. I love the idea of having a Bible out in a main part of the house. I think I will try this.

living from glory to glory said...

Hello Dear, I so enjoyed this post, I must say I agree with the concept! We have our Bibles open on our Desks, and just recently I purchased a wooden stand to hold it up on an angle so it doesn't hurt my neck bending over while reading each morning. And we have one opened on our breakfast table.
Thinking of you...
Hugs, Roxy