![]() |
| Fresh produce from our garden from last month. |
There can be a sense of fear when the cost of living is high. It is important to find ways to lower expenses so we can manage to pay the routine bills each month.
One of the biggest household expenses is often the cost of groceries. The stores are full of all kinds of packaged food for us to heat up at home. They have made much of our cooking easier. But it comes with a cost. There are also snacks and candies and chips we all enjoy, but the cost is high. The supermarkets are full of aisle after aisle of an assortment of groceries that are appealing but expensive. When there is not much money to spare, it helps to find ways to cut down on the grocery bills.
When we have a garden and make much of our food from scratch, we will save a great deal of money. This savings will help provide some funds to pay our basic living expenses, such as utilities and taxes.
Years ago, when my parents lived here with us, in this old 1800's house, they would make an old fashioned dinner to share with us. This happened about once each month. Dad would call upstairs (on the house phone) and invite us to supper. I would tell the children and they would be delighted. Dad made an old time, frugal supper, with the help of Mom. It was a common frugal meal that he often had (as a child) on his small farm in Alabama. I searched my files and found a picture that was taken 15 years ago. Just before we sat down at the table for one of these suppers with my parents, I took a picture of my plate of food. (See photo below.)
![]() |
| Frugal supper at our house. |
The frugal meal consisted of homemade cornbread, pinto beans, black-eyed peas, and fried potatoes. This was something I had in my childhood home as well. My parents were careful with their food budget. Mother never tried out new recipes. She simply made the regular dinners that were affordable and familiar. Her example of serving wholesome food for little cost was inspiring.
As the cold weather is approaching, here in our rural New England village, I am trying to think of ways to cut expenses. We are still struggling to come up with money to pay for our first delivery (of the season) of Kerosene for the heat. I have not been able to stock my pantry. I am running late on my winter preparations because of high bills and lack of funds. Money is scarce.
We are coming to the end of the month. There is not much left in the money jar. I will be going out to the garden today and see what I can find. The harvest season is nearly over. But I hope there are some blueberries, sweet peas, and perhaps a cucumber. This will help provide some of the food we need. Next month, I hope, things will be a bit easier.
Even though times are tough, we must not be discouraged. We could be dealing with health issues, financial woes, or trials within the family. Regardless of the trouble, we need to look above it all and focus on the Lord. When I am feeling overwhelmed, I have to remember the Scriptural direction to seek the Lord first and all that is needed will be provided. I must trust my heavenly Father. I will not worry. When I remember to do this, I am flooded with peace and a grateful sense of joy. Trying to get through the hard times becomes an adventure as I watch the Lord working in my life. How very precious it is to be a child of God.
Blessings
Mrs. White
From the Archives
Four Generations in the same house - In Pursuit of Christian Duty.
Simple Way of Homemaking - The Four Little Tasks of Home.
Content at Home - Days Without Spending Money.
- To find out more about this blog, or Mrs. White, please visit our About page. -
For happiness and cheer in the kitchen:
Mrs. White's old fashioned cookbook focuses on serving meals and setting the table in a humble home.
"Serving in the Kitchen: Cookbook with Recipes, Advice, and Encouragement for the Christian Home"
152 pages, paperback




0 comments:
Post a Comment