Tuesday, November 1, 2022

The Comfort of Daily Chores

Library of Congress: Almoney Family in 1942 at dinner time.


It is so nice when everyone is home and helping with the daily work.  Someone might be doing the laundry, or sweeping the floors.  Mom is in the kitchen preparing dinner. One of the children is setting an inviting table. All are looking forward to sitting together and enjoying the homemade food.  All is done in love.

When my grandchildren are visiting, our house is very full. There is much to do.  The children are happy to help with the sweeping, folding clothes, clearing the table, and picking up toys. In the midst of all the playing, this is part of the visiting.  We work while we talk. We do the daily chores, making the home look nice and pleasant, while we laugh and smile. We are together while we labor in the home.

Some days I will say to one of the older grandchildren, "Will you keep the baby happy while I go in the kitchen and bake cookies?"  They are willing and happy to do the extra work for the wonderful reward of a homemade treat. Our parlour is adjacent to the kitchen, so I can still see and talk to all of the family while I do the baking.  Often, one of the children will set up a chair, at the entrance of the kitchen, to watch the work, at a safe distance from the oven and stove.  They enjoy watching and seeing the progress.

I could not imagine a life without chores.  The daily work is what helps us enjoy the rest.  As we make beds, vacuum carpets, dust furniture, organize papers, and make things look lovely, there is a comfort in doing the chores.  There is a peacefulness, a simplicity in keeping house for those we love. To have a home and family to take care of is the greatest joy in life.

As I walk about the house, I appreciate the old familiar rooms and the way they are decorated. I think about how it is all kept neat by our consistent efforts.  The routine of the day brings comfort and stability.  Often, in the evening, at the end of the day, I will straighten up the couch cushions, tuck in the chairs, and take one last look around the rooms to enjoy the prettiness of everything. All is back in order and ready for the next morning. All is well at home. 

Blessings

Mrs. White

From the Archives

One of the greatest joys - Mother's Benevolent Society

An Old Time Frugal and Happy Kitchen - Basic Cookery.  

Encouragement - I will do my duty - No Matter What it Cost Me

 


- To find out more about this blog, or Mrs. White, please visit our About page. -






Find Home-keeping Inspiration, in Mrs.White's book

 -Mother's Book of Home Economics .  

Paperback, 312 pages.





 





8 comments:

Cate Nunan said...

I do the same Mrs White, go around the lounge room and kitchen, fluff the cushions, wipe out the sink. It makes the day end with a good, warm feeling in my heart. I agree that it is the consistency and the attitude of the efforts each day that make the difference. I have a small vase of geraniums from the garden on the kitchen table as this week the budget will not stretch to a bunch from the store. But it is still so homely and pretty. Small, consistent efforts. My Grandma taught me that and you have reinforced it. Thank you for the encouragement in home making.

Linda said...

I think as homemakers we all enjoy looking at our cozy homes after we've spent time cleaning, tidying and prettying. Home cooking and baking makes a home inviting. What precious memories for your grandchildren. I think its lovely to find joy in our homes and to be thankful for all we've been blessed with. Another lovely post - thank you :) ~ Linda

Jenny of Elefantz said...

I wrote a blog post recently about the beauty of homemaking rhythms, and your post marries well with that, Mrs White.
I was raised by my grandparents, and learned the old ways through watching them...today, at 63, those lessons and examples still tutor me.
Blessings
Jennifer

Deanna said...

Dear Mrs. White, Blessings to you! I always enjoy visiting your blog and read about what you have been up to. I love a tidy HOME, but confess I don't always have one. grins. It is what I aim for.
Sending best wishes,
d from the prairie.

Billie Jo said...

Hello! I agree so very much with your lovely post. I am good at the evening routine because I love coming down in the morning and seeing my cozy home all neat and ready for a new day. I do need to work on a more structured routine for my daily chores. You inspire me!!! Have a cozy day!

Vee said...

How good for the grandchildren to learn so many things from you. I followed my own grandmother about her home while she did the chores. She cheerfully allowed me to help. My other grandmother wanted to be left in peace as she did her chores so I didn't learn so much from her But one thing I did learn was never to rip something all apart. She could wallpaper her living room and it never looked as if she was doing a thing. Always neat and tidy...perhaps slow and steady would be another way to describe it.

Stephanie said...

What a wonderful way to view what can be a drudgery-- those repetitive daily chores! I will try more to view these routines as a comforting stay for the day, especially as we get into busier seasons!

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

Your essay and the comments have inspired me to look at my work about the home differently tomorrow. Thank you!
Mrs. Laura Lane
Harvest Lane Cottage