Thursday, June 22, 2023

Do Not Forget the Hymns Grandmother Loved

Stack of Hymn Books at Mrs. White's House.


Children and grandchildren of today are finding a great many amusements that include technology, toy tablets, computer games, and many other recent inventions. They are often absorbed in these forms of entertainment, often using them more than any other form of recreation.  Here at the Estate, on a recent weekend, there were 8 grandchildren visiting us.  I saw them playing with the toys they brought here, and thought, "How can we compete with these toys? They will not be interested in old time skills and education." I realized it is more important than ever that we take the time, each day, to tell them about the precious Bible, to remember our prayers and thanksgivings before each meal and snack, and to teach them the hymns.

I also worry what these inventions will do to their vision. Will these bright, colorful screens with their fast computer animation make it difficult for the children to have the ability to sit and do their schoolwork or to read a regular book?  Will it deteriorate the minds and cognitive abilities of these little children who are still growing?  I quickly suggested we bring out the board games. Soon the children were just as happy with Scrabble, Checkers, and Connect - 4.  I was happy to see these "old fashioned" games being enjoyed by the entire family.

Then I thought about this generation of children and the next generation to come.  Will they remember the traditional hymns from the old hymn books? Churches today are often playing modern praise music with a screen projector. The old hymn books are being used less frequently.  The radios are playing modern praise songs. In years past the radios used to broadcast a segment such as "Old Fashioned Revival Hour" or "Bible Hour."  During these programs we would hear the choir singing such songs as "Heavenly Sunlight," "I Surrender All," and "Amazing Grace." These touched the heart, comforted the soul, and taught the essential gospel message.  Will the next generation remember these songs if the homes of today are not singing them?

In years past, many homes used to own their own hymn books.  One that was common in the 1800's was called "Watts and Select Hymns," which was written by Isaac Watts.  Our churches are full of hardcover copies of hymn books, yet some of us are struggling to attend church services because of illness and such. Many are going less frequently and are not regularly exposed to the hearing of the old hymns. Will these be forgotten?  Shouldn't every Christian home have at least one hymn book in their home, much like they have at least one television set?

Will the lessons of holiness and joy and salvation and peace from such hymns as "In the Garden" and "Oh How I Love Jesus" be lost to the next generation because the melodies have been silenced and replaced with other things?  I pray not.

I learned the hymns because my father sang them throughout our house as he went about his chores, in my childhood home. We had hymn books in the house and we had them in the church. Years later, when I had my own children, I bought each of them their very own hymn book. They grew up reading the books and singing from them.  They know them well. They have the foundation from their childhood of the beautiful songs to help guide them in life.  That is the time to teach them the hymns, when they are young in their childhood days.   Later, as they grow up into adulthood, into this constantly changing culture, with all its distractions, when they don't have time or energy to attend church and it starts to fall away, they will still remember the old hymns and they will be brought to their remembrance as is described in the beautiful old hymn, "Back to Bethel."

As I thought of all these things I wanted to buy a hymn book for each one of my grandchildren. But since that would be too expensive at this time, I came up with a workable idea.  Each day the grandchildren visit me, we do a short Bible time. We each read the Bible, sing a few hymns, and pray. We all love this time together. But I wanted to spend part of our day looking over the old hymn books and teaching all the songs I know to the little ones.  

I have a set of assorted hymn books, including a few old ones I inherited from my father.  The books have different page numbers for the different hymns because they were not all published by the same company.  This makes it more difficult to simply say to the children, "Let's sing number 245." Since I do not have a matching book for each child, I made a little booklet with a general index listing the title of all the hymns I know well. In this way, I can say to each child, "Pick one of the hymns for us to sing."  Then we can search the books to find the correct hymn. At each visit, we will sing one or two songs, over many weeks and years and the children will learn them all and love that they learned them in grandmother's parlour.  They will cherish the lessons and memories when we sang the old, precious hymns, that I love so dearly. 

 

Mrs. White's homemade booklet with a listing of select, well-known, hymns.

When we are constantly singing and hearing the old hymns, it stays in our hearts and minds. One of my granddaughters loved the hymns so much that she sat down and wrote the most precious little hymn you could imagine. One day she sang it to me and I asked her to please write it down for me. I keep it in a safe place. Now, at each of our family Bible times, she sings it for us from memory. It is a blessing! 

The old hymns and Bible times, shared with love and joy are what I want to pass onto the next generation.  The fruit of this effort is the passing on of godly values with a love of the old fashioned home. 

Blessings

Mrs. White

From the Archives -

Advice for a Happy Home - Peaceful Living by Rules.

Careful thrift in the Home - Reducing Expenses.

A Peaceful Old Fashioned Bible Time - The Prentiss Study


 - To find out more about this blog, or Mrs. White, please visit our About page. -


  For Encouragement in Christian Homemaking, order Mrs. White's book, "Homemaking For Happiness: Wonderful Days at Home."

In this book, you will find essays, articles, and diary entries about life in a Christian home.

Entries are arranged by season, and include:  "Keeping a Frugal Kitchen;" "Missing the Lilacs;" "An Evening Walk in the Garden;" "At Grandmother's House;" and "Chores for Grandchildren."

You will also find a few photographs showing a little of the local landscape.

Paperback, 307 pages.




11 comments:

Glenda said...

You are a wonderful grandmother. We are in our mid-seventies and the world seems very demonic right now. Our children and grandchildren are in our prayers multiple times daily. Your home is an anchor and safe haven for your family. I reread your books often, as they bring much needed peace in an angry world. Thank you.

Michelle said...

What a wonderful idea! When I was homeschooling my kids, I started picking hymns to learn. Some were ones I knew growing up and others were new to me too. I would check the music sites to see if they had a recording or I'd find a rendition of it I liked on youtube, and we'd follow along until we learned it. We would sing a couple hymns each morning plus the one we were learning. There are still many hymns I don't know and would like to learn.

Elizabethd said...

What a lovely idea, Mrs White, and one that I am sure your grandchildren will treasure. We must not forget the 'old ways'.

Wanda said...

We use our hymnal with our morning devotions. In fact this morning it was a verse in Psalm taking about seeing God face to face. We looked up the hymn and sang Face to Face.
Yes, our children need to know the hymns. They are so full of doctrine and truth. Praise God, I grew up in the church with christian parents, and learned and sang all the old hymns.

I love that you are sharing with your children and making their own special hymn book.

I just came from Debbie's blog as she wrote about your book "The Wife". I will be ordering a copy.
God bless you for your love of family and the Lord.
Your blog blesses me.

Suzette said...

Mrs. White,
As a young-ish mother (haha), i want to tell you the homemade pieces like this that my grandmothers made have stayed with me a long long time and my mom would often do this too. I really believe it will be more special than your original idea to buy them each one. Wow. Beautiful! Thank you!

SIRVIENDO AL SEÑOR said...

HOLA SEÑORA WHITE: QUE HERMOSA PUBLICACION Y QUE DULCE TU NIETA, ERES MUY BENDECIDA. ES UNA PENA QUE EN LAS IGLESIAS YA NO CANTEN HIMNOS MAS SEGUIDOS, ESTAN SIENDO INVADIDAS POR LA MUSICA MODERNA Y MUCHAS CARECEN DE SENTIDO BIBLICO, AMO LOS HIMNOS, CUANDO COMENZAMOS A CONGREGARNOS CON MI ESPOSO HACE 28 AÑOS, APRENDIMOS MUCHOS DE ELLOS Y ME HACIAN SENTIRCOMO QUE ESTABA MAS CERCA DE MI SALVADOR JESUS, HOY YA NO ES LO MISMO, EN CASA ESCUCHAMOS MUSICA CRISTIANA, TRATO QUE MIS HIJOS NO PIERDAN ESA SANA COSTUMBRE, MIS NIETOS CONCURREN A LA IGLESIA GRACIAS A DIOS, PERO POCO SABEN DE HIMNOS, LA MAYORIA DE LAS IGLESIAS YA NO LOS CANTAN. ES MUY CIERTO QUE LA TECNOLOGIA ATRAPA LA MENTE DE LOS MAS JOVENES Y ESO LOS APARTA DE LAS SENDAS ANTIGUAS. BENDICIONES A LA DISTANCIA.

Sandy said...

I was just singing Heavenly Sunlight the other day. I love pulling out my hymn book and choosing a song to sing a day. This is a great idea to teach them to the grandchildren. I will say my kids have heard so much about the dangers of screens that their littles haven't been exposed to just playing on them, but it is coming. It is unavoidable, but teaching them to enjoy other things is hugely important.

Christine said...

Your concerns are my concerns. Then I think, God has these children at this very time for a reason. But we should continue to teach them. The best things are homemade, from the heart.
God bless you!

Jenny of Elefantz said...

This will be a precious heirloom for your grandchildren. Such a simple, but life giving project, that carries with it the story of Jesus...something we want them to love, to know, and to share with others.
Blessings
Jennifer

Debbie said...

This is so true. I sang hymns to my boys when I was rocking them at night. We also had a book about hymns as part of our homeschooling. Both of my boys lead worship now and I have nothing against the songs they lead, but I do miss the hymns and the sweetness of some of them.

Also, I wanted to let you know that I just finished two of your books...The Wife, which was so sweet and blessed me immensely and Living on His Income, which reminded me and inspired me. So, thank you for writing books with such value and always pointing us to Jesus.

mingowildcat said...

I'm fairly new to your blog. Just finished reading "Living on His Income" and am now reading "An Old Fashioned Budget". What a breath of fresh air. That's the way I was raised and was beginning to think we were something of an anomaly. Even though it's the same way nearly everyone in our neighborhood lived, almost nothing about it is common now. It was so wonderful to read that other people also consider this way of life the norm.

As to the hymns, I'm a bit older than you. The churches that I grew up in always sang hymns, then in the 70s the contemporary Christian music began to be used. By the early 90s, it was uncommon for a church to use anything but CCM. Now it's absolutely rare to find a hymn-singing church and it's very, very controversial to even talk about it. The vast majority of the songs weren't written to be sung as a congregation; they're hard to sing and work much better for a solo or band performance.

Anyway, we live in rural Texas and I would've thought it would be easy to find a hymn-singing church. It isn't. And it's so troubling to sit through the ccm portion of church. It reminds me of something an elderly man said to us: "I spend the whole song service repenting for how I feel about the music." So anyway, about a year ago a dear friend invited us to a church they'd found. They didn't have a church pianist, so now my husband fulfills that role. The pastor asked if I wanted to choose the hymns each week, and it's something that I dearly love doing.

I remember my wonderful Christian mother singing hymns in her sweet soprano voice as she went about her housework.