Sunday, August 16, 2026

A Pleasant Home

Pretty flowers on our table.
 

In the quiet of the day, I have been settling myself in the downstairs parlour. This is the front room with a large picture window. It is pleasant to look out at the landscape and observe the beauty of the day through lace curtains.

Each day, whenever I get a chance, I sit on a comfortable bench and play the piano.  I am learning to play at home with the help of beginner books and advice I can get, when needed, from grandchildren. I have assorted music books of hymns, Christmas songs, and some classical music (from Beethoven and Chopin).  I play only my favorite songs. I do this quietly and slowly. It is peaceful.

The other afternoon, after I had finished playing the hymn, "Shall We Gather at the River," and "Nocturn" by Chopin, I went back to my housework and baking. One of the family walked in and said how nice it was to hear the sound of the piano from one of the upstairs rooms. How lovely.

Sometimes, while I am playing, someone will come into the parlour and sit on the couch just to quietly listen.  Whoever is listening is simply hearing a beginner playing simple pieces of music with numbered notes since I have yet to comprehend the meaning and placement of the notes. I am grateful for beginner music books that provide a way for me to play beautiful songs in a simple way. 

It is a blessing and a privilege to have a piano in the house.  It provides me with a respite from all the common concerns of daily life.  It brings beauty and loveliness to our routine. When I think of all the ways we are encouraged (by the advertising world) to make home a beautiful place by spending money on redecorating and the constant spending of money on amusements, I am simply content with playing the piano and keeping house. Whatever our skills and resources, it is good to use them in a way that brings love and joy and rest as we provide a pleasant home for the family. 

Blessings

Mrs. White

From the Archives -

What Many of us Crave - An Ordinary Life at Home.

Finding Genuine Happiness at Home - Peace be Upon This House.  

Old Time Frugal Living - A New England Winter on a Small Income.  

 

 - To find out more about this blog, or Mrs. White, please visit our About page. -


 For old time encouragement in living simply on a limited income, order Mrs. White's book:

"An Old Fashioned Budget: Humble Financial Management for the Christian Housewife"

77 pages, paperback.








4 comments:

Martha Jane Orlando said...

Oh, the sweet and healing balm that music can bring into a home! I'm so glad to know that you are filling your home with joyful melodies, Mrs. White. Blessings to you and your family!

Anonymous said...

Mrs. White, I am so inspired by the fact that you are teaching yourself to play the piano! What an accomplishment, as you learn each new piece. I wonder whether there are lessons on YouTube? I have learned many skills such as embroidery and knitting,with the help of Youtube, and all for free 🙂.

Lori Alexander said...

We own the piano from my childhood. I took lessons for 17 years, but I wasn’t a naturally gifted pianist. Yesterday, I asked my granddaughter to play Be Thou My Vision since she is naturally gifted, but she’s not so good at reading the notes yet so I sat down and began playing it. It’s the first time I have played in many years!

Cathy said...

Mrs. White, I was so very pleased to open your blog post and read about you playing the piano especially since I have returned to playing the piano once again! I am attempting to practice daily if possible. I have always loved playing the piano and all my children were given piano lessons though only one truly plays now. And she is a teacher of the piano! I wish you blessings on your pursuit and your practice. I can still hear my daughter's piano teacher saying, "Perfect practice makes perfect".😊 I try to go back when I make mistakes and carefully apply that rule when I practice.