Friday, August 14, 2026

Preparing for Winter

Freshly cut wood near our river. 
 

There is a chill in the air, here in the rural mountains of Vermont. After many hot days of summer, the cold weather is approaching.  Our first frost date is expected in a few weeks. We are getting ready to settle in for the cold season of a New England winter.

Firewood is needed for the downstairs wood stove.  Downed trees, on the grounds of our property, are being cleaned up. Much of this wood has been cut and stacked, ready to be moved for easy access, closer to the house.  The cost of kerosene (our main heat source) is very high. The firewood helps supplement this cost. It will also take the chill off the rooms since we must keep the thermostat on a lower temperature.  The lower setting will ration the kerosene throughout the season. We are expecting high bills. When there is a limited income, one must think about the coming year, rather than just this week, or this month. Cutting costs and saving money is essential. We are doing our best to prepare. 

As I walked the property this morning, a gentle fog was evident. It is such a peaceful sight to see the grounds and to know how very thankful we are for this place.

Our grape vines on the edge of our property. 

The garden has provided us with vegetables and fruit.  There is nothing like having fresh produce from one's own garden. It is a blessing.

Our red tea roses.

I have spent the last several weeks taking care of grandchildren, enjoying our playground and porch. It has been restful to be home with the family.

There have been many trials and worries. But when they come, I am compelled to pray, "Lord, help me through this."  It is impossible to stay calm, to avoid anxiety, and to be at peace without the comfort of the Lord's guidance and blessings.

There is beauty all around us.  We focus on that which is lovely. We thank the Lord for all the goodness He provides. Then when we are faced with trouble, we pray for rest in His wisdom and the acceptance of His will.

As I go about the coming days of baking, cooking, cleaning, and being here for the family, I will be at peace. I will not fear the coming winter.  I will do all I can each day and then trust the Lord to take care of what feels impossible. All will be well. God is so good. He takes loving care of His precious children. I am forever grateful.

Blessings

Mrs. White

From the Archives -

Cheerful Elegance - Adding Loveliness to the Day.

Her Daily Routine - My Mother's Chores.

God's precious care of our lives - All of God's Children Have Shoes.

 

 - To find out more about this blog, or Mrs. White, please visit our About page. -



An Ordinary Housewife: Essays and Remembrances of Simple Living in a Christian Home by Mrs. White, paperback, 136 pages.

Special features include:

- Cheerful advice from a minister, 1910.

- Historic photographs of home and family life during the 1920's to 1940's. 





0 comments: