![]() |
| Restful view on our walk at the Trapp Family Lodge (from 2024). |
I often think of how I want my house and yard to be peaceful and full of simple beauty. We often talk about what we would like to plant on the grounds of our humble estate. On a recent outing, we browsed the aisles in the garden department of a local store. I saw beautiful red azalea shrubs and lovely tea rose plants in a delicate pink. "These would be perfect for the front grounds," I said. "They are just what I have been looking for." Then we nod and smile as we pause to dream and consider. Then one of us will say, "We will buy some next year." We always say this because it is less painful than speaking the fact that there is not any money to spare. I would rather be hopeful and cheerful and say, "next year, we will do this." It is much more pleasant to know that someday, we will do certain things we would like.
There are many things we need. We are also exposed to daily enticements from advertisements and such that make us want things. Just because we want something does not mean it is necessary. Being frugal reminds me of being responsible. We must be prudent. We have to proceed with caution. It is important to avoid impulsive action on the basis of our whims. We must plan and take our time to make our homes pretty. Adding loveliness and cultivating a pleasant environment should be a life-long endeavor. It takes time to do good things and to take care of our surroundings. It is time well spent, particularly when it is done with creativity and as little expense as possible.
It is important to repair things, to make items last, and to take care of what we already have. For instance, I have a beautiful pair of cozy slippers. They have little roses on them with a cream background. To me, they are elegant and pretty. I have had them for years. But, as with all things, they are deteriorating. The soles are falling away from the base. It is not possible for me to replace them. Instead, I will sew them back together to make them last. Perhaps when Christmas comes around, I may be able to get another pair. I am thankful and willing to wait. I am grateful that I know how to mend and sew and can make them last a little longer. I will look forward to the day when I can get another pair. This is an important experience in living carefully and making money last.
Yet there are days that are harder than others, when it comes to managing money. For example, the mail was brought in the other day. I had been expecting the property tax bill from our town. It had just arrived. I had been saving up to meet this annual expense. It is generally the same amount each year. I had a plan to pay it before the due date and was carefully saving up to meet this need. I was confident and grateful for a financial plan and enjoyed looking over the budget, each month, as I paid the necessary bills. But when I opened the envelope, I was staggered by the amount that was due. The explanation for such a drastic change was that our town had reassessed the value of everyone's property. This was to get in line with market value and recent sales. It resulted in a shocking increase of an amount that was a thousand more than I had expected. A moment of panic came over me. But I had to realize that all would be okay. This felt like a painful storm, but we would get through with planning, letting go of the confidence I thought I had over my finances, and a sense of humble submission to what was out of my control. The Lord will lead us through this darkened path. I must not fear or flinch in this trial. It is better to walk on calmly and to manage with a gracious sense of acceptance of what I cannot change. This is a reminder of how thankful I am for my house and property. I am willing to cut back on many things, even if it takes me a long time to pay these expenses, for the privilege of living here. It is blessing to have a home and family!
When we spend our days thinking of the long term, rather than of just about today, we may be able to save for emergencies, for rainy days, and for little treats. Planning and being careful with a financial plan, especially on a strict and limited budget, is essential. While we are doing the good things, we can find ways to enjoy our lives and be happy. However, keep in mind that there will be sudden financial blows that are out of our control. How much easier it is to manage these calmly, when we cling to the Lord with hope and faith, knowing we are trying our best to be good stewards. And while we often fail and stumble, the Lord is gracious and comforting as He guides us along the path of life. We are grateful.
Blessings
Mrs. White
From the Archives -
My Mother's example - A Home Without Clutter.
Testimony of the Mother of D.L. Moody - Poverty in the 1800's.
Old Time Manners - Waiting for the Door to Be Opened.
- To find out more about this blog, or Mrs. White, please visit our About page. -
Our newest book is now available!
An Ordinary Housewife: Essays and Remembrances of Simple Living in a Christian Home by Mrs. White
136 pages, paperback
ISBN: 978-1-956616-43-9



0 comments:
Post a Comment