Sunday, August 20, 2023

An Old Fashioned Bible Cover with a Video

Bible Cover Project on Mrs. White's Table in the Parlour.


I have a little pink KJV Bible I use for travel. It goes with me to church and when I visit others.  It is packed away in my suitcase when we must go to New Hampshire for Medical care and have to stay at a hotel.  It is in excellent condition and I want it to stay that way.

I have wanted to make a Bible cover for it for quite some time. I kept putting it off because it would be a great deal of work. This past week, as I have been doing a little organizing and cleaning projects, I realized it would be a good time to cut out the fabric and lay out the supplies.

I made my first Bible cover in 2019 when the Bible of my childhood was falling apart.  This was the Bible my parents gave me when I was a young girl. I needed it to be kept safe when not in use. 

 

2019: Mrs. White's Bible on a piece of fabric.

I measured some old fabric and pinned two pieces together. 


2019: Getting supplies ready for the homemade Bible cover.

I did not have the right size zipper for the type of cover I wanted. So I used two pink ones that I had in a drawer.

I am in the habit of doing all my sewing by hand.  I have not used a machine for many years.  I would rather sit with the family and sew at a slow and steady pace.   I do a very basic, plain stitch for all my sewing, which makes it easy.

 

Mrs. White's package of hand sewing needles.

I find it is peaceful and quieting to my soul when I can sit and sew by hand. 

 

A view of the stitches from one of Mrs. White's hand-sewing projects.

I have little projects I like to work on at a slow pace. I make aprons, hem homemade cloth napkins, and do my mending.  My last major project was a basic quilt that took me 9 months sewing by hand. I was in no rush. I enjoy the process of doing the work in my leisure hours. I often sew while sitting and visiting with the family.

It took me three months, in 2019, to finish the first Bible Cover.

 

Current picture of Mrs. White's finished Bible Cover.

 

 My Bible cover opens on three sides by use of the two pink zippers. The lined floral fabric is like a pouch enclosing the Bible with the zippers. It keeps it safe and protected when not in use.

 

Current view of the closed Bible Cover at Mrs. White's table.


Now I am ready to make a Bible Cover for my little travel Bible.

 

Mrs. White's Travel Bible on a piece of fabric.

I measured the fabric to be about 2 inches larger than the Bible, on top, bottom, and side. Then the fabric is folded over to make sure it will be big enough. 

 

Supplies for the new Bible Cover.

I cut out a plain piece of fabric the same size as the floral one. The plain fabric will be the liner. It will make the cover more sturdy.

 

Getting ready to make the new Bible Cover.

 

I have a small white zipper I will use for this project. It is too small for what I had hoped, but I think it will function well enough for the purpose.

 

Finished Bible cover alongside the new project at Mrs. White's table.

It will probably take me three months to do this new cover. The hardest part, for me, is pinning together the zipper and then hand-sewing it in place. It will take patience and time. I am sure the result will be worth all the effort.

 

Update: February 5, 2024. I did a video showing how to make a Bible cover.

 

 

Here is the direct link to the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfZsNzLSj8U&list=PLdjNiA5yPfo46l2_O8L5taQscGSPbfgfX&index=6

 

Blessings

Mrs. White

From the Archives -

Humble Homemaking - Poor and Pretty Living.

When There isn't Much - Living in Reduced Circumstances.

I will never Regret Staying Home - A Humble Parlour as a School of Theology.

 

  - To find out more about this blog, or Mrs. White, please visit our About page. -


- It is an honor to be the bookkeeper for the house! - 


Find detailed instruction and inspiration in budgeting on a small income, along with a method for keeping a handwritten ledger, in Mrs.White's book:

 -An Old Fashioned Budget: Humble Financial Management for the Christian Housewife

 Paperback, 77 pages. 

 

 

 


 


 

6 comments:

Leah Spencer said...

A beautiful way to preserve the integrity of your Bible! I have done the same to my favorite Bible after my baby gnawed at the spine. I did mine more like a library book jacket cover, no zipper. I used scraps of fabric from a quilting project, and it’s held up wonderfully for years.

Deanna said...

Blessings to you. I've never tried stitching a Bible cover. I think you've got this under control. I'm in hopes of doing some sewing after we get moved. Maybe next winter. So good to read your blog!

Melissa M. said...

You do such lovely work!

Amelia said...

I love this, such a sweet and practical idea! It's nice you are hand sewing, there is so much more control in sewing by hand, especially on that zipper. I know hand sewing is very relaxing too isn't it?

It will be lovely and a keepsake too. Thank you for sharing. : )

Have a sweet week! ~Amelia

Debbie said...

I really love the idea of sewing by hand, at a slower pace. I've never thought of sewing a zipper by hand, but it might be more enjoyable and not so stressful. I really like that your covers have zippers. I would love to carry a notepad and pen in there and it would be perfect for taking to church.

Thanks for sharing, Mrs. White. Have a wonderful week!

Elizabethd said...

So lovely and so practical too.