Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Drastically Reducing the Grocery Budget

Library of Congress: Mrs. Orville White making pancakes 1937, Minnesota.


One of the biggest expenses in homemaking is the grocery budget. We are often cutting down on buying food whenever we need money for an emergency.  It is difficult to save up for necessary expenses when money is scarce.

I was watching The Waltons on DVD.  Olivia and Grandma spent a lot of time in the kitchen preparing food. They made their own bread, soups, stews, and cookies. Each day the men would come in at the dinner hour (commonly known as lunch in some areas), after laboring in the mill. They would need to eat a filling, hearty meal so they could get back to work.  The family would work together to make sure there was food on the table at the appointed hour.

The children often walked home from school and were hungry. They could help themselves to vegetable soup which was simmering on the back of the cookstove. They could have bread and cookies. Then they would play, do their homework, or do their chores.  Later they would help get the evening meal on the table. It was such a blessing to see the entire family sit down together and pray before each meal.

A great deal of their food came from the farm. They had a garden, a cow, and chickens.  They would also spend a small amount of money at the grocer's for things like coffee, tea, and sugar.  They rarely had any money during those depression years so they had to be careful with what they did spend at the store.

There was a great deal of work going on at home to make sure the family had food.

At one point, in history, there were ration books for each family. They were allowed a limited amount of items at the market in order to be sure everyone had the basics for their household.

 

Library of Congress: A shopkeeper cancels the coupons in a housewife's ration book for the tea, sugar, cooking fats, and bacon she is allowed for one week. 1943, Britain.


 

Homemakers had to be creative with the little resources available in their kitchens. One would need to limit the amount of sugar and tea, among other things, to make it last through the week.   

One way to make tea bags last is to reuse them.  The first cup of tea is the strongest, while each successive cup is weaker. Yet, it is better than having no tea at all.

A way to avoid using sugar in tea is to add a little slice of lemon.   Honey is also an option but quite expensive.

Today, we are often having a financial crisis based on what is happening in our country and in the world.  The cost of utilities has risen.  Housing and transportation costs are up. The bills to maintain a family and household are very high. But the family and the home are still worth all the cost!

In order to pay our bills, in my home, we need to drastically reduce the grocery budget. This is a difficult challenge.  My current budget is $300 a month and it is far too low. This has to include, not only food, but also trash bags, dish soap, medicine, and general grocery items.  As of yet, I have not been able to meet this challenge. 

Since it is not working for me, I have to change my approach to cutting down the food bill. The hard part is when I would really like to have some special treat such as specialty cookies, cashews, bakery fresh dinner rolls, or hot chocolate. These are luxury items which I cannot afford in hard times.

Our kitchen must include some very basic items such as fresh fruit and vegetables, along with milk, butter, orange juice, and eggs. We have grandchildren who visit often and must have good, wholesome food. My husband and I are used to going without and I am happy to have a cup of peppermint tea with toast and an apple for the morning meal. But it gets difficult later in the day when one has to limit the use of food, in order to make it last the week.

We are able to get some of our produce from our little gardens. We also get some at the store when they are on sale. I am in the process of stocking up on canned goods when the prices are very low. But one can only stock up so much when there is not enough extra money to spare for such worthy endeavors. 

Writing up a weekly meal plan, based on what we have and what we can afford to purchase is a big help. This is an important method for making things last and knowing what we are going to be able to eat.  But it is essential to find a way to completely stock the pantry to have all we need for the coming winter here in Vermont.  

In order to meet this basic need I have to ration what we have on hand. I have to make it last so we can come up with the funds to do a little bulk shopping for the pantry shelves. I need things like coffee (for Papa), peppermint tea (for me), plain oatmeal, an abundance of canned items, and baking supplies. I will try to do this every week as much as possible. 

There are ways to make our life cheerful so we do not feel the pain of going without. We can set a pretty table to make it festive. We can eat meals at a leisurely pace to make them last. And we can go back to grandmother's method of making a sweet treat only once each week. Most of all, our prayers of thanksgiving, before every meal, give us a sense of contentment and rest. We know the Lord will always provide our daily bread.

May we all succeed in bringing cheer at home, investing our time and effort into the lives of our families. May we be victorious, with the help of the dear Lord, and do it all on a limited budget.

 

Mrs. White's parlour table.


Blessings

Mrs. White

 

From the Archives -

Taking Care of Four Generations in one House -  In Pursuit of Christian Duty.

Oh, How Much we Need this Blessing - Peace Be Upon This House.

A Record of How the Lord Provides - Reviving the Prayer Journal.

 

 - To find out more about this blog, or Mrs. White, please visit our About page. -



Mrs. White's special book for homemakers:"Introduction to Home Economics:  Gentle Instruction to Find Joy in Christian Homemaking."

Find stories of home life, with photographs of my home, in this encouraging book. 

 Paperback, 200 pages. 



 


18 comments:

Mrs. Hadley said...

Dear Mrs. White,
Thank you for this very helpful and encouraging post. Your posts bring joy and focus to my day. May God bless you and yours abundantly.
Mrs. Hadley

Martha Jane Orlando said...

These days, the economy is tough on everyone, isn't it? You have given us sage advice on how to budget and appreciate the little bonuses we are given along the way. God will provide!

Elizabethd said...

Every week here in UK, the prices of food go up, not just in pennies but in much larger amounts. It is hard, but I remember my Grandma making everything go as far as possible in the war years. And I still have my ration book!

Wanda said...

Food budgeting is dificult, but rewarding too. I have a picture of my mother in her kithen in the 40's that so close to the one you shared at the beginning of you post.

I am so fortunate that I grew up with parents who were frugil and also creative. My Dad had a garden with rows of potatoes, beans, turnips, aspargas, corn. Also a row of grapes and boysenberries. Mom also raised chickens and that gave us fresh eggs and meat. We also had an apple tree and peach tree and canned a lot of vegetables and fruit.

How times have changed, but how refreshing to see you are still practicing those frugil standards. God bless you.

I'm sorry to say we have more than we need and God has provided so graciously and abundantly for our family.

Thank you for your timely advice and showing ways to be happy and content without wealth!

Sending love and hugs.

Midwest Reader said...

I'm so glad you posted about this. We need to lower our budget as well. I still can't get over how expensive my grocery bill is every month. At the beginning of the year I set a target amount to spend and I only have a few hundred left for the year! Granted, I do have some items in the pantry and freezer, but I guess I totally underestimated the amount I would spend to feed my family!

Lady Locust said...

You are always such an inspiration~

SIRVIENDO AL SEÑOR said...

QUERIDA SEÑORA WHITE: TUS PALABRAS LLEGAN EN EL MOMENTO MAS OPORTUNO YA QUE EN NUESTRO PAIS SE VIVE UNA GRAN RESECION, HAY DESABASTECIMIENTOS Y EN LOS ULTIMOS 2 DIAS, HAY ZAQUEO EN DISTINTOS COMERCIOS DE ALIMENTOS, ROPAS ECT. PARECE UN CAOS TODO ESTO, LOS PRECIOS AUMENTAN TODAS LAS SEMANAS Y ALGUNOS CADA 3 DIAS, NO PUEDO HACER UN PRESUPUESTO YA QUE EN UN MISMO DIA AUMENTAN LOS PRECIOS, SOLO LE PIDO A DIOS QUE NO PERDAMOS LA CABEZA ANTE ESTA SITUACION, SABEMOS QUE EL TIENE EL CONTROL DE TODO, QUE SOLO PODEMOS CONFIAR PLENAMENTE EN NUESTRO PADRE CELESTIAL, QUE ABUNDARA EN GRACIA Y MISERICORDIA PARA NOSOTROS. ¿PUEDE ORAR POR MI FAMILIA? ESTAMOS NECESITANDO ORACIONES EXTRAS. BENDICIONES DESDE BUENOS AIRES.

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

My husband just sat with me and talked about how his income has gone down recently, and some of his clients are not paying in a timely manner. We live close to the edge anyway, so this was not good news. He's frustrated. I tried to cheer him. He's been cutting business expenses as he can. I asked him if there is anything else we can cut from our personal budget. He couldn't see anything. Of course, we've alreadyb cut into the grocery money, but it looks like we must cut further still.

So today, I'll start redoubling my efforts to be frugal. I'm sure I can be more thrifty than I have been of late.

May God bless you and help you to stretch your dollars until they're nearly ready to snap!

Laura Lane
Carthage, Missouri

Anonymous said...

I think we will all probably by necessity, learn to eat less. My daughter and her husband and 10 yr old son are coming for dinner tonight and she said "mom, just make a very light dinner and we will be fine." This means it will be more of a snack and less than a meal. The growing boy will get as much as he needs to stay healthy and grow but the rest of us will limit the amount we eat. I fear this will soon be the new "normal". We will find that the items that were once our everyday will now be once in a while treats like a Starbucks coffee or a cola drink.

Lana said...

As costs rise I am looking to perhaps replace some things with cheaper alternatives and the one big thing I am thinking about right now is orange juice. Our big need for it is potassium and so I am thinking it can be replaced with half a banana some days. We don't always have bananas but when we do it would be fine to drink water for our breakfast and eat the bananas we have on hand. Years of being allergic to milk taught me that some things can be baked with water instead of milk or even use half water and half milk for those who can have the milk. Baked goods taste just as good with 2/3 the sugar called for in the recipe. I look for more basic recipes as costs rise. An oatmeal muffin is delicious and does not call for expensive nuts of fruit.

Is there any possibility of adult children helping with food to feed the grandchildren? I know it is hard to ask but even $10 a week per family would make a big difference because you and your husband need nutritious food for sustaining good health as well.

I am praying for wisdom for you and your family.

Billie Jo said...

I always learn from you, Mrs. White, and I am inspired by you. I agree with everything you wrote. I was beginning to pay more attention to the labels on food and was shocked to see that the bread I bought contained GMOs. I will make an effort to make my own bread!

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

Your heartfelt post reminds me of all the ways one can save money. Both of our parents lived through the Depression and talked to us about how they survived on apple butter. My Mama said though they were thankful to have apples, she never wanted to eat apple butter again. Sending you blessings for the coming week, my friend.

Mrs. A said...

THis is one of the reasons I went back to work after 15 years at home as a SAHM. It is very hard to make ends meet, with rising utilities no matter how much we try to keep them low (the less we use, the more the companies raise their rates), how much we cut on other things, etc. While the kids were growing up I made it with a $200 for 5 people food budget but it came at costing me my health by way of diabetes and neuropathy. White flour and sugar and rice and potatoes did a number on my body. So we padded the food budget better so as to be able to have blood sugars under control and pay less in medications. My kids are adults now, 2 live at home and have special needs, one will be at home the rest of his/my life. I do what I can and am known to do "intermittent fasting" in order to make things stretch. Just catchy words for not eating.

The economy has made it quite hard for a single income, and it's not easy for a double income family anymore. With rent, utilities, food, insurance, vehicle payment (my old car had engine die as well as clutch go out at the same time at 300K miles and hubby drives a 18 year old truck), etc, it's hard to stay afloat at times. I do cheapest pay as you go type phone as I have to have something for work (railroad driver, we have to have a cell), and we try to get by with cheapest options on everything else. I wish at times life would go back to the older days when it didn't cost as much to just make it.

dayna64 said...

Definitely feeling the pinch. My husband and I are both retired and on a fixed income, with an almost 17 year old still to raise. My husband and I have resorted to eating one meal a day. Our daughter gets reduced lunch at school but due to food allergies, she rarely can eat what they have and has to take a lunch. On a good note, we have lost some weight, ha ha. My daughter has a part time job and buys her own clothes and sometimes food with her paycheck.

Anna said...

I appreciate all that has been said here, both in the post and in the comments. I'd like to make a few suggestions without intruding. My husband doesn't like sugar, so he and our children (99% of the time, at least) don't eat it, we don't want to eat vegetable oil (nor canola oil) in general, we don't eat msg, and we only buy prepared food like crackers or chips if we find a really good deal, such as 25 cents or maybe 99 cents. I make most things myself. These limitations mean that, for example, when I make hot chocolate, I make it from (usually bulk) cocoa powder. I think it is much less expensive to make your own than to buy packets or canisters of hot chocolate. I make all of our cookies and have begun to make crackers. This way, we avoid vegetable oil, preservatives, additives, food coloring, etc. Bulk food like nuts might be less expensive than in a package. As well, discount grocery stores can have great deals if you are willing to see what they have, rather than what is usually guaranteed to be at a regular grocery store. We don't drink soda except possibly occasionally soda water with a bit of juice. Regular soda has chemicals and dangerously unhealthy amounts of sugar. I have brown sugar that I use, even though no one else in the family eats it. So we do have brown sugar, but it is a drastically less quantity than it would be if we were to buy store bought cookies and other food. You can make rolls, cinnamon rolls, sandwich bread, and more. I discovered that making French bread is incredibly simple -- flour, water, salt, and yeast. These are ideas only. Every family prioritizes according to their unique thumbprint, so what might be good for one might not be best for another. I offer these ideas in an effort to share ideas in case someone might benefit, but not as a "should".

Linda said...

Dear Mrs White,
I am a little late to comment, but oh how this writing warms my heart. Just the other week I was going over our budget and was wringing my hands as to how it just wasn't working. I finally realised it was fuel prices and the cost of power, plus a lot of regular food items have tripled in price. Oh how I wish i was younger and in better health and then we would grow more and have chickens, but alas we do what we can. Our fuel prices are currently $3.10 NZ dollars per litre. By my calculation there is 3.78 litres to a gallon. I don't know how much you are currently paying in the U.S for your fuel per gallon, but I hope it's not as bad as our country:(
So you can see we have to be very conscious of our travelling, along with our power usage and food ! oh my. Even eggs now cost $15 NZ dollars for 18 eggs. I'm just trying to make everything from scratch and stretch meals as much as I can. We both don't eat breakfast (intermittent fasting) and we really just eat simple, basic but healthy food.
Many blessings to you dear sister in the Lord. Your honesty and sharing really helps me and encourages us all. I can see that by reading the other comments. We are all in the same boat to varying degrees xo ~ Linda

Debbie said...

Mrs. White,
I wanted you to know that my blog address has changed.
Not sure if this comment will lead you straight back or if you have to do something different, but the domain changed from:
milliescozycottagelife.com to milliescozycottagelife.blogspot.com.

Happy September!

Anonymous said...

Hello!

Don't know what I would have done all these years without all your encouragement! My family and I have home churched for 35 years so your writings are such blessings as we live up in the secluded mountains and I have never made any friends. Our car has never been reliable to drive the mountain roads to town, so I stay home the majority of time (and I love it). So very sorry that you have to go without foods that you love. Most people are struggling. I have needed dentures for years now and as soon as we save, it's gone again. Thank God I still have a few teeth left to chew with for now. Thankful for everything God has given me though,including you and all your blessed writings! We also home schooled,and have a home based business which needs to get off the ground and make some money ;). I pray you never ever stop writing. When Crowned With Silver was discontinued, I was devastated!! That was a great magazine. Connie was so funny and smart!! Oh! By The Way, for some reason, I
Can't see the comments others send here in the comment section of your blog, which I used to be able to see.. maybe its my computer?
I hope God will give you your favorite foods and plus some to share in an unlimited supply!

Sincerely, Ashlea