Saturday, September 12, 2026

A Carefully Mended Life

Our table with a homemade cloth napkin.
 

As I went about the work of housekeeping this week, I noticed a carefully mended kitchen towel. It was neatly folded over a towel bar on the stove door. I gave it a little bit of straightening and thought about how it used to be frayed.  The fabric had worn-thin in places. I had folded and tucked and sewed it all back together. It now functions again. It is a pretty sage green, looks charming, and is serviceable for the needs of my kitchen. It makes me smile to think of how much of my home and life is in constant need of mending.

Sometimes I get overwhelmed by worries and thoughts and troubles. I get weary and need to rest. But the thoughts plague me. It is then I remember that it is not my burden to bear. I tell myself, "You don't need to fix this. You don't need to think about any of this. All you have to do is rest."  I know that the Lord is working behind the scenes. I need only give the troubles to Him and then I can be at peace. I can take breaks and rest and then cheerfully return to my work.

So many people talk about doing whatever they want. "Live free," they say.  "Do what makes you happy," they advise. But the problem with this is that it causes confusion.  I want to be of the Kingdom of God, doing His will for my life.  The advice is not "do what makes you happy," but "be happy doing your duty."  This is the secret of peace. It is true freedom. To do God's precious work with a joyful heart brings the greatest happiness you could ever imagine. This is peaceful even when times are difficult.  There is the sense of a rested heart even when facing anxious moments, worries, and troubles.  All I have to do is rest in the Lord and He will help mend my life.  There may be scars, but there is a homemade sense of old-fashioned love and simplicity, which brings peace.  I shall not dwell on my worries.  I will rest in the Lord.

There is a thread of hope and comfort when we have the foundation of the Lord's promises in our heart. One of the greatest memories I have is of my father singing gospel songs and hymns as he went about the house and garage doing his work.  During my growing up years I noticed as he read the Bible to himself, prayed quietly and out loud, and humbly sang the old-time gospel songs he loved so much. This affected my entire life. It provided me with an anchor of hope and trust in God that has stayed with me all these many years.  It has helped to mend my life, over and over again, as I cling to those beautiful godly moments of what life really means; of what truly matters. 

I want to be that same example to my children and grandchildren. I want them to know that despite a lack of resources, or a lack of money, we can cultivate a beautiful way of life.  We can overcome hardships and difficulties by doing our very best to walk with the Lord. 

 One of my girls has a spare bedroom that has just been emptied. Her youngest is no longer a baby. He has moved to one of the other bedrooms.  She mentioned how much she would like to turn it into a little room I can use whenever I am at her house. I have spent many hours there helping with the house and children. But to have a little guest room, for my own use, would make things so much easier.   We talked about the possibility of getting a comfortable chair, an end table, and a lamp. I could read in that room. I could rest whenever I felt worn out. And yet, I would always be available, to read to the children, to play with them, to talk, to visit, and to tend to the house. I could do this even if it were only for a few hours a day or in the evenings. What a privilege and honor it would be to serve in this way and be comfortable at the same time. 

When I am helping at my daughter's house, I will bring my mending and sewing-projects. I will help with the chores and kitchen work.  I will keep my focus on them as if I have all the time in the world. And even if it is only a certain number of hours each week that I am there, I want my presence to give them that same memory and example I have of my dear father as he demonstrated a life consecrated to God.  

This is what it means to have a mended life. It is by knowing that we are weak, scarred, and frail, yet leaning on the Lord for our strength. He is like the thread that repairs the holes in the fabric. We are held together by His love and His promises. When we understand that we cannot even walk or breathe without His power, we will have such a grateful sense of dependence on Him. This will free us up to want to be serviceable for noble duties, which is what will bring true happiness for all of our lives.

Blessings

Mrs. White

 From the Archives

Frugal Living - A New England Winter on Small Income.

Taking Care of the Family - A Covered Bridge and Graceful Living in Rural Vermont.  

Some Ideas to Help - A Home Without Clutter.

 

- To find out more about this blog, or Mrs. White, please visit our About page. -


 "At Mother's House" by Mrs. White:

  

For Encouragement in Homemaking, order Mrs. White's book, from 2016, "At Mother's House: The Blessing of Being a Christian Housewife."

In this book, you will find essays, articles, and diary entries about life in a Christian home.

There are 40 entries which include:  "Poor and Pretty Living;" "A Home Without Clutter;" "The Money Packets;" "A Church Diet for the Family;" "Bringing Home Baby;" "The Children's Prayers;" "The Shabby Garden:" and "Just a Housewife."

Those who are seeking a peaceful home, with the Lord as the foundation, will find encouragement. (Paperback, 122 pages.)



9 comments:

Kathy Jackson said...

What a sweet comparison! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

An outstanding piece of writing!

Rose said...

Mrs. White. I have read your blog for many years. It's a little difficult to make this call, but I think this may be one of your best writings yet.๐Ÿงก
God bless you and yours.๐ŸŒป

Martha Jane Orlando said...

Thank you, Mrs. White, for reminding all of us that our source of strength and joy is in the Lord, and through Him we can do things for others with love.

Patty B said...

The last paragraph of your post is excellent! It is the very definition of how to be happy and live a peaceful fruitful life.

Anonymous said...

This is just in time for me! I’m going through a hard time, and I found myself in spare moments watching YouTube videos to amuse and distract myself; unfortunately, I’m ashamed to say at times it made me envious because it made it seem like everyone else has it easier. Logically, I know this is a lie as everyone is best foot forward on there. But the feelings were still there. Anyway, I felt pulled away from God and my faith and getting very lukewarm because I was looking to youtube rather than Jesus for comfort. Thank you for sharing these thoughts today on here-another reminder of where my eyes need to be! I’m a longtime reader and always look forward to your posts (although I rarely comment); thank you for all the encouragement you give.

Anonymous said...

What a truly beautiful post. As always, so full of edifying truth. God’s blessings be upon you,
Marianne

Dollie White said...

Dear Mrs. White,thank you for another inspiring post. I always look forward to hearing from you. Have many of your books and have given some as gifts to special girls. Todays post reminds me of the Gospel song "I can't even walk without you holding my hand". Love music and singing. My Father whistled the hymns as he worked on the farm. Mother hummed them. Beautiful memories. Thank you for making time to share with us. Today is beautiful and encouraging for me.Blessings to you and your Family.

Anonymous said...

Thank you dear Mrs White for posting this timely writing.