![]() |
| Floral painting, 1896. LOC. |
When one in the household is ill, it is helpful to do a little extra housework. This will brighten the sick room, lift the spirits, and make things more comfortable for the patient.
I often like to do the housekeeping in a sick room when the patient has stepped out to another room, or into the kitchen. I can then enter the room, quietly and discreetly, and empty the trash, put out a fresh garbage bag, remove any empty tissue boxes, and neatly arrange the bedside table. In the early morning, when possible, I will open the window and let a little sunshine brighten the room. Very often, the patient is too weary or overwhelmed with sickness to manage these little duties. It is nice to be of service in this way.
Whenever possible, it is good to have cheerful flowers in the house, especially when someone is feeling discouraged or going through a difficult time. This afternoon, I walked all over the property to see if we had any flowers available for the house. I managed to find 2 roses. I brought them indoors and placed them in a small glass jar on the bureau. They look pretty by the light of a dim lamp.
![]() |
| Our garden roses on a bureau. |
We have not had many flowers in the house this year. I used to buy inexpensive carnations for the table on a regular basis. But since there has been a lingering financial strain on our finances, I have not indulged in such spending. It was so nice to find a few flowers in my own yard when I needed them today.
Lately, I have been praying that there are not any more needs. It is not that we "want" to buy things. It is that so many needs keep appearing. When this happens, we just pray and ask the Lord to provide. We must not let anxiety, fear, or troubles cause us to worry. This type of stress can make us sick. We need peace and rest as we calmly go about the work of taking care of the home and family. We bring cheer and happiness as we serve with a joyful heart.
Someday, when we are the ones who are sick, the family will come forward and remember our example of tender care. And they will take care us in the same dear way we have always done. What a gift that will be!
Blessings
Mrs. White
From the Archives
Old Time Manners - Waiting for the Door to Be Opened.
A Simple Life - How to Stop Buying Things that Clutter up the Home.
Content at Home - Days Without Spending Money.
- To find out more about this blog, or Mrs. White, please visit our About page. -
For happiness and cheer in the kitchen:
Mrs. White's old fashioned cookbook focuses on serving meals and setting the table in a humble home.
"Serving in the Kitchen: Cookbook with Recipes, Advice, and Encouragement for the Christian Home"
152 pages, paperback




1 comments:
What a beautiful example of God's love. I am so grateful to serve the Lord through my homemaking, as humble as it is.
Post a Comment