Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Housekeeping All Day

LOC: A Mother making a pie for her family, Indiana, 1937.


It is so nice to just be busy at home.  Yesterday I needed to wash our kitchen and bedroom curtains.  I was productive as I cooked and cleaned and visited with the family. I did not get a chance to do the curtains until late in the afternoon.   I used a step-stool to reach the curtain rods.  This made my husband worry that I might fall so he took over the work.  Soon the curtains were in the washing machine.  The rooms looked so empty without the pretty curtains.  Later in the evening, I managed to get the curtains back up and everything was fresh and clean.

All the lovely work of keeping house reminded me of my Mother. She worked at a calm and steady pace. She always looked so nice, whether she was at home or out in the community.  She made homemaking look natural and easy.  She made it look pretty.  

Mom would sweep the floors and wash the counters.  She was always keeping things in order as she talked to all of us.  When she got tired, she would rest in the recliner or couch.  As soon as she heard the bell from the dryer, alerting her that the machine was finished, she would get right up and tend to the laundry. She would promptly fold and put away the clothes at a slow and steady pace. 

If company came by, Mom did not stop what she was doing. But she would offer the guest refreshments and have them sit at the table while she did her kitchen chores. She would talk and entertain her guests and they always enjoyed visiting with her. After her work was finished, she would sit and have tea or hot chocolate and a little treat with her company.

At the end of the day, she would sit in the living room and enjoy a quiet evening at home.  By this time, her kitchen was beautifully clean. Everything had been put back to rights from the dinner.  It would not have entered her mind to leave dishes in the sink, or to allow her kitchen to be a mess.  She had cleaned after each meal and it always looked neat.

You never would have known that my Mother had health problems. She always did the duties of home with a smile and good cheer. Her example has always inspired me.

These days, the lesson of homemaking in a gentle and pleasant manner seem to be forgotten.  The old ways of keeping house, of doing the chores, and of persevering through difficulties takes time and effort.  If we could only remember the routine of our Mothers and Grandmothers, we could continue the tradition of keeping a lovely home, and pass this on to the next generation.

Blessings

Mrs. White

From the Archives - 

My Mother's Example - A Home Without Clutter.

Motivation and Cheer to Do the Work - Housekeeping - with a Will.

Old Fashioned Thrift in Hard Times - A New England Winter on a Small Income.

 

- To find out more about this blog, or Mrs. White, please visit our About page. -

 

For happiness and cheer in the kitchen:

Mrs. White's old fashioned cookbook focuses on serving meals and setting the table in a humble home.


"Serving in the Kitchen: Cookbook with Recipes, Advice, and Encouragement for the Christian Home"

152 pages, paperback



 


 

 

11 comments:

Billie Jo said...

Yes. Yes. Yes. I agree with everything you said. I am so thankful to have you as a friend here. Knowing others love their vocations as wives, mothers, and homemakers and spend their days like I do brings me joy!

Cate Nunan said...

I also agree with you and what Billie Jo has said. I am at home, knowing that my day is shared my many others around the world, wherever we are and in what natural season it is. I am enjoying summer because I am in Australia so my chores are accomplished as early as possible. Today someone I met at the local shops commented on my dress and it does stand out amongst the casual, slap dash way that many present themselves. We can be kind and courteous and dress simply but well because it shows respect to ourselves, to our family and to others. It is the same with the cheerful attitude. Thank you again for the regular encouragement. Cate Nunan

Martha Jane Orlando said...

My mother was the same way when it came to keeping our home neat and orderly. I've always aspired to do the same in my own house, and not let things get away from me.
Mrs. White, I apologize for not getting to your previous blog - My husband and I were in St. Simon's Island to attend my SIL's mother's memorial service when his pacemaker failed in a dramatic way, requiring me to call 911. The hospital took great care of him and replaced the pacemaker right then and there. Praise God, we are now at home, and Danny is healing wonderfully. Will you pray for continued recovery? Thank you!

Jane said...

Totally agree! Having a home is such a blessing that caring for it should be a joy.

Hugs
Jane

Elizabethd said...

My grandmother was of a similar personality. I inherited her love of neatness, I think! thank you for another lovely post.

Amelia said...

So nice. I love the description of your mother, very peaceful and cheerful.

I had a friend of mine, and when I would bring our little girls to play with her little girls we would have a wonderful visit together while she ironed. It worked out so nice.

Have a sweet day, prayers are coveted, my mom broke her hip and went through surgery for that, we are praying she will be able to walk. It's been very stressful.

Blessings to you, I'm still reading your book before I take my bp in the morning, I jsut go through it over and over again and it gives much Peace from the Lord. ~Amelia

Deanna said...

Lovely post that helps create a blessed HOME environment! Smile on and look pleasant. ~d

Emma - Barradale Farm said...

What a lovely memory, Thank you for sharing. Your mother sounds like a lovely lady and a hard and steady worker. My nanna was much the same I think and her house was always so tidy and she was a wonderful cook. xx

Debbie said...

This reminds me of my grandmother. She wore a red dress everyday (red was her favorite color) and she just went about the house slowly, yet intentionally, getting things done. What great memories.

Lady Locust said...

Ah Mrs. White, you said something that triggered a memory for me. "If company came by, Mom did not stop what she was doing." Growing up if we went to a neighbor's and they were feeding cattle, we hopped on and helped feed in order to visit. Or if they were doing dishes or weeding the garden - whatever it was we helped while we visited rather than stopping the work and rendering the person further behind, the help sped and divided the labor. I've sure not seen that in some time. Hadn't thought much about it until you mentioned it.
Thank you.

Jenny of Elefantz said...

Such a beautiful post, reminding me of my nana who raised me...women of that era took pride in keeping their homes clean, comfortable and welcoming. The emphasis was on those three things, not on 'showiness' or fashionable furniture.
We women of today must look to their example (as you do!).
Blessings
Jennifer