Saturday, January 6, 2024

Joyful Homemaking

LOC: "Christmas Eve" painting by W.C. Bauer.


The snow was falling throughout the early evening.  It drifted down at a steady pace.  I like to look out the front window. I always glance toward the streetlight, where the snowy scene is most clear.  

We were planning to go out for a quick errand. My husband drove the car while I was free to take in the beauty of all the Christmas lights.  But sometimes people are crabby. They are in a negative mood and are too annoyed to enjoy the beauty in life.  I knew something was wrong. I also knew it was possible for me to make it better. I would not be dragged down into a bad mood. I would not start an argument. Instead, I would spread cheer and happiness.

"Do you mind if I sing?" I asked.  My husband consented.  It quieted him for a little while. I sang carols and then, to soften the tenseness of the moment, I would look over at him for help. I didn't know all the verses to the songs. I could not remember them.  This made him happy to help. He would give me a prompt by singing a few words. Then I would take over and continue the song.   

After I sang "O Come all Ye Faithful" and "Silent Night," I paused to see if he had cheered up. Soon he began venting again about whatever happened to be on his mind.  I thought to myself, he is not ready yet. I needed some cheerier songs.  I began with "We wish you a Merry Christmas" even though Christmas had already passed.   Throughout the entire car ride, I sang and was full of fun and delight about the scenery, the snow, and the happiness in songs such as "Jingle Bells."  

Somehow, my husband cheered up and we arrived home in a lighter mood.  I had managed to keep his mind occupied on better thoughts. Whatever had been annoying him no longer seemed to matter. 

"Let's be happy," I thought to myself.  We have so much to be grateful for. We are blessed beyond measure. Despite the trials in life and the annoyances of others, we can learn to stop dwelling on it all.  We all know that human nature brings about mistakes, rudeness, and trouble. We will often encounter this nearly every day of our lives. This should not surprise us.  But a merciful, forgiving heart will help us through the storms.

My happiness does not come by brooding over bad things.  It comes from being sheltered in the shadow of the Almighty.  I trust all is working according to my Heavenly Father's plan.  I will keep doing my best to stay cheerful, to stay joyful, and to get through the daily turmoil of life. 

One of the most essential jobs of homemaking is to spread laughter, lighten the rough moments, smooth out the ambiance of home, and to cheer each other up. We need to build up relationships and strengthen the family.  This brings peace into our homes and lives. This helps provide a place of rest.

 A Joyful home is a retreat from the world.  

Blessings
Mrs. White

From the Archives -

Please be One of these - The Mother Who Isn't Busy. 

Motivation!! - Is this true? - Only Rich People Have Clean Houses. 

What happened when I rushed ahead - Waiting for the Door to Be Opened.


  - To find out more about this blog, or Mrs. White, please visit our About page. -

 


Mrs. White's special book for homemakers:
 
 
Paperback, 200 pages.

 

 

 

 

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Singing has great healing properties. I keep hymnbooks scattered throughout my home, and I sing myself to sleep at night as hymns are a major part of my evening prayers. :)
MaryB

terricheney said...

Yes! We must be the cheer leaders of the household! And that means correcting our own attitudes immediately as well.

Martha Jane Orlando said...

Singing always brings joy to the heart, Mrs. White, a joy that is effectively spread to others. I'm so honored that my husband and I get to lead with music in many of our church services. Is there a better way to praise the Lord and soothe the hearts of other believers?
Blessings!

Vicki said...

Very well said Mrs. White! What a beautiful reminder of one of the most important aspects of our vocation as homemakers, to be lights in the home.
Vicki

Mari said...

You are right - we need to bring a happy spirit because it spreads. I have to do it in another way than singing though. If I started singing in the car my hubby might get crankier! :
I really enjoyed this post!

Linda said...

It must bring your husband joy to be married to someone who delights in helping to ease his burdens and downcast moods. What a blessing you are ! Thank you for this word of encouragement. I will certainly apply this to my own life. Many blessings to you Mrs White ~ Linda

Elizabethd said...

My Grandma used to sing hymns throughout the day. You couldnt help but feel cheerful!

Marilyn said...

Amen Mrs. White...The Joy of the Lord. Sometimes I just sing hymns to myself in the middle of the night when I forget to give all the problems to the Lord. Jesus is the Light in the world, but we must let our light shine.

Amelia said...

Mrs. White, this makes me think of a writing I read yesterday. It's about Mary Bailey from "It's a Wonderful Life". If you observe the character of Mary Bailey played by Donna Reed, she prayed for George and gave such support all throughout the story and it shows in George Bailey's life. : )

Yes, we can be a huge encouragement for our husband's. Thank God we can. In Psalms 91 it says that the Lord takes us under his pinions and wings to protect. And in Psalms 23 it says that goodness and mercy shall follow us all the days of our lives. Thank the Lord for reminders like that. Your singing was a beautiful thing to your husband I'm sure and I think to your family as well, those still waters run deep and will show the good fruits.

Yes, a joyful home is a retreat from the world. ...Amen.

What a privilege it is for us to keep our homes in an atmosphere of joy and praise! To keep that soil fertile, fresh and welcoming so to speak for goodness and mercy. ~Amelia

Mrs. Sabo said...

Thank you so much for this post! I think my family will benefit from my reading it today! You bring me joy MRS. White

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

Thank you for sharing a practical way that you helped your husband through a difficult mood. As wives, we often need to face this. I am sorry to say, I have not always done as well as you did, but I'm learning.

Blessings,
Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

What a blessing to use music instead of words to encourage your husband - sometimes nothing needs to be said, just sung! I love this encouragement, and will put it to practice in days to come! I wanted you to know that I love your books, and writing, and have a special place for your books on my website at www.mountaintopspice.com under Authors and Resources. Many blessings to you dear friend, you are a blessing to all of us in "blog land"!

SIRVIENDO AL SEÑOR said...

SEÑORA WHITE: QUE OPORTUNO SU MENSAJE, YO TAMBIEN LIDIO CON PERSONAS DESAGRADABLES, MOLESTAS SON IMPIOS QUE VIVEN ALEJADOS DE DIOS, MUCHAS VECES ME IRRITAN CON SU HOSTIGAMIENTO, TRATO DE CONCEN TRARME EN JESUS Y SUS LECCIONES EN LA BIBLIA: SER MANSO Y HUMILDE, A VECES ES DEMASIADO, DIFICIL SEGUIR EN ESTE MUNDO LLENO DE ODIO Y DE VIOLENCIA, CANTO HIMNOS Y CANCIONES ESPIRITUALES PARA LEVANTARME EL ANIMO Y TAMBIEN NO SER UNA CARGA DEMASIADO PESADA PARA MI ESPOSO, LA VIDA NO ES FACIL ECONOMICAMENTE HABLANDO, CADA VEZ HAY QUE AJUSTAR MAS EL CINTURON, ¿PUEDE ORAR POR NOSOTROS? APRECIARE MUCHO SUS ORACIONES. BENDECIDO Y PROSPERO AÑO NUEVO SHARON.

Regina said...

Singing is one of the best ways to cure bad moods even if we sing off key.🎶🎵

Cheyenne said...

I needed to read this today. Thank you for the reminder that we can be peaceful and happy no matter the behavior of others as long as we remain in the Lord.