Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Minding my own Housekeeping Business

Spring has started to show at our property here in Vermont.


Taking care of a home is very much like running an entire business. When my Father used to live with us (along with Mother) for nearly 10 years (in their own section of this large 1800's house), he worked very hard here at home. Taking care of the grounds and house was like a full time job for him.

In winter, Dad used a snowblower and shovel on the walkways and driveway. He kept our cars cleaned off. He used sand and such to protect us as we walked on the ice outdoors. He kept us safe. These were daily chores for him throughout the winter months.  He also maintained the heat and kept the wood stove going.  He warmed up the car for Mother, tucked her in with a warm blanket (for extra comfort), and took her wherever she needed to go for errands, appointments, and to church. 

In the warmer months, he maintained the grounds with a ride-on mower. He kept the weeds under control. He was the one who began all the work of making our property look like a restful park where we could enjoy the beautiful landscape.  He gardened, painted, did household repairs, maintained the vehicles, and managed and procured a supply of wood for each upcoming winter.  

He did all this work on a daily basis from a heart of service. These chores were his own ideas. He was always productive and could do nothing less than make sure his surroundings were cared for and kept nice. His love for family and ability to provide for all of us warms my heart even to this very day.

Mother kept the house looking beautiful. Her daily example of housekeeping, running a kitchen, taking care of flower gardens, and welcoming visitors is admirable and instructive.  She was joyful and kind and dearly loved the family.

Mother and Father have been in Heaven for many years now.  I have always been in awe of their skill and wisdom in making a house a real home.  My husband and I have taken over the work of maintaining this house. We do not have nearly as much skill or wisdom as my parents did.  I often think of how mother kept house and am spurred on each day as I work about the rooms.  My husband remembers all the teachings of my father and has willingly taken over all this work with a grateful heart of service.

I will tell you the secret of how to do all this work with cheer and good will. It has to do with the focus of our mind.  In my parent's generation there was not a constant stream of news from the outside world.  Their focus, naturally, was on their own home and family. 

It has occurred to me recently, as the world has changed so much over these many years, that we are not only distracted by constant news, but by bad news and frightening news. This is stopping many of us in our tracks. It is drawing our thoughts away from our daily work of building up and caring for the home and family.

The secret of having the motivation and energy to keep house has to do with what we tune into. It is about where we focus our energy and thoughts.  It has everything to do with minding one's own business.  

We can do all this only if we do not fear.  We have a great source of protection if we trust our hearts and lives to the Lord.  We must remember that He watches over us every moment of our lives.  We can faithfully do the work at home as we spend our lives in prayer, reading Scripture, and attending church. These good works are the fruit, or the result, of staying close to the Lord.  This is the very example of my parents, and many others from their generation.

We mind our own business as we do the work we have been given by our Heavenly Father.  This reminds me of the words from a dear old hymn. It brings me comfort as I think about all the beautiful work of housekeeping:  "His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me."

Blessings

Mrs. White

From the Archives -

This is What many of us Crave - An Ordinary Life at Home.

A Graceful Lesson in Manners and Faith - Waiting for the Door to be Opened

Old Time Frugality - How the Old Time Mothers Survived Poverty.

 

 - To find out more about this blog, or Mrs. White, please visit our About page. -



Mrs. White's detailed explanation of keeping a financial journal and budget:

 

For old time encouragement in living simply on a limited income, order Mrs. White's book:

"An Old Fashioned Budget: Humble Financial Management for the Christian Housewife"

77 pages, paperback.

 

 

 

 

13 comments:

Patty B said...

A beautiful and very true post you have written Mrs. White! For about a year now I have had to "disconnect" from the news. It is indeed frightening, stressful and irritating to listen to the news. There's nothing I can do about it anyway, as I have no authority to do anything. You are correct that in the past people were not constantly bombarded with world events. The Lord has blessed me and my husband greatly on our 100 acre hobby farm. We can live a peaceful and productive life. The rest of the world almost seems like it is on another planet. It is enjoyable for us to garden, take care of the farm and all the chores involved, fellowship with our church family and our real family. It is an old fashioned life style that is very satisfying. I often think of the old saying: "Grow where you are planted".

Sandi said...

"The secret of having the motivation and energy to keep house has to do with what we tune into. It is about where we focus our energy and thoughts. It has everything to do with minding one's own business. "

What a powerful paragraph!

Sandi said...

I so enjoy your blog, Mrs. White! I love your name too.

Kathy Jackson said...

A beautiful post. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Amen! You must have been reading my mind. This was just what I needed to read, today! xx Jen.

Mrs Hagema said...

Between the news, medication commercials and political ads, I am scared out of my wits watching television! I used to enjoy our local morning cooking show and ladies talk show, but the in-between segments are just too unnerving. I barely put it on anymore. Which is fine:). I have plenty of cookbooks! Thank you for this post of encouragement! I often feel like I’m the only one who feels this way. I’ve made a shift to enjoying posts like yours and other ladies who pursue a quieter life.

Gillian said...

I whole heartedly agree with this ... minding our own business, staying busy at home and focusing on the goodness of the Lord. I am never more discourage when I spend what could have been quality time with friends, only to come away feeling like I want to hide and erase all the bad news they have just talked about for the past hour!
Thank you for your blog. Your estate sounds so lovely!

Elizabethd said...

What a lovely glimpse into the life with your mother and father. I reminds me so much of my grandparents, who also lived with us. They were brought up in a world without technology, simply focussing on the garden and the home. Would that we could return to a simpler way of life without the constant distraction.

Jenny of Elefantz said...

This just as it was when I was growing up, raised by grandparents, and this same topic is what my husband and I often speak about over dinner, or when we're driving by the beach in the peace and quiet of the evening. My youngest daughter (mother of three) has also begun to think this way - praise our God for opening eyes and ears to what truly matters.
A favoured Scripture is 1 Thessalonians 4:11-12
"and to make it your ambition to lead a quiet life: You should mind your own business and work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody."
Your parents, and my grandparents were examples of living just such a life.

Tracy said...

You paint such a beautiful picture with your words.

Billie Jo said...

Hello, Mrs. White. Thank you for your words of wisdom and inspiration. I agree with you about the amount of media, news, trauma, and fear we are exposed to daily. The only way I have found to keep it away is to not let it in. Then, I can focus more on my home and family.

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

What an incredible blessing to spend those last years with your parents, and to learn from their knowledge! I'm sure your children feel the same about you and your husband! There is always so much to learn, your parents were such a blessing to you, but it was wonderful that you could be together in those last years! Keeping up a home is so much work. You do it with grace and charm, and I appreciate all your insights and helpful ideas. Many blessings to you!

Amelia said...

Yes, it is so very true. It's good to have wisdom and know what is going on, and do our homework and pray our husband's do their homework on things. But our trust and faith is in the Lord, keeping our thoughts focused on Him and also sharing our concerns with Him constantly, that is the key to Peace. Our homes are little governments, and we can keep our homes a place of Beauty and Peace unto Him.

Blessings! ~Amelia