Friday, September 6, 2024

A Homestead of Modest Means

A Tea Rose at our property in Vermont.

 

There is much to do at the old home-place.  We gathered the last of the season's strawberries yesterday. The blueberry bushes have finished producing fruit. A little rose bush that was planted in early spring has finally given us a beautiful flower.  The grounds have been carefully mowed and the weeds, throughout the property, have been removed. Inside, I vacuumed and washed floors. I baked and did dishes. The floors have been swept and the beds have been made.  We have enjoyed the company of extended family for quiet visits and happy talks.  Housekeeping is a wonderful occupation.

I did some errands yesterday. As I walked through the markets, I looked at all the inviting products. I saw melons, fresh apples, assorted vegetables, and many wonderful things that were not on my shopping list. I thought how lovely it would be to gather ingredients for a fresh salad.  And even though none of those things made it into my cart, because I only have a small amount of money, I enjoyed looking at everything.  

There is a great cost to housekeeping. Even when the expenses are as low as possible, we must still pay for utilities, insurance, and the cost of the house. It is important to be creative in finding ways to make do and to make things last. This will keep our expenses down.

We find joy in our surroundings. A neat home with homemade touches will bring a sense of rest to the heart.  When the pantry supplies run low and there is little money to fill up the shelves with good food, we may get discouraged. But hard times happen and we have to just wait, to look ahead, knowing things will get better. To cheer ourselves along, we use pretty dishes to serve humble meals.  We brighten our mood with the serving of tea in beautiful tea cups.  

We must remain calm when we don't have much money.  Our purpose in life is not to build up the store, but to build up the home.  This takes time, education in the domestic arts, and a great deal of faith. I have been thinking of ways to bring costs down, here at home, over the next couple of years.   The more we are able to do on our own, the less we will need to rely on the supermarket. 

This is a beautiful time of year in New England. The leaves on the trees are changing. Soon the landscape will nearly take one's breath away because of the stunning display of beauty. Yet this is also a hard time since so many of us have paid our annual property taxes. The cost of food is rising again. Our utility costs have gone up.  At times like this it is helpful to remember how hard things have been, financially, for the previous generations.  Our great-grandmothers have remained at their post, building up the family, caring for the home, and being creative with very little resources. Their example is a shining light of inspiration!  There is a sense of gratefulness to know that a home of modest means can still be a place of peace and beauty.

Blessings

Mrs. White

From the Archives -

A Precious Lesson! - All of God's Children Have Shoes.

What it Takes - Old Fashioned Duty of a Homemaker.

Encouragement in Duty - Make an Effort.


 - To find out more about this blog, or Mrs. White, please visit our About page. -


  For Encouragement in Christian Homemaking, order Mrs. White's book,

 "Homemaking for Happiness: Wonderful Days at Home."

You will find essays, articles, and diary entries about life in a Christian home.

Entries are arranged by season, and include:  "Keeping a Frugal Kitchen;" "Missing the Lilacs;" "An Evening Walk in the Garden;" "At Grandmother's House;" and "Chores for Grandchildren."

You will also find a few photographs showing a little of the local landscape.

Paperback, 228 pages. 

 


7 comments:

Martha Jane Orlando said...

Your outlook on life is inspiring always, Mrs. White. Being frugal and careful as we tend to our homes and the necessities required keeps us humble and dependent upon God and His provisions.
Blessings!

Mrs. K. Hagema said...

This time of year, I start cooking different kinds of beans and grains for freezing, along with raw onions and peppers. This way, when things get tight with holiday expenses, we have simple meals in abundance. I buy meat during sales and break it down to single serving amounts to freeze. One chicken breast cut and sautéed then added to bulgar and lentils, makes a nice winter meal with a piece of bread and margarine. I love finding ways to stretch what we have. The challenge is always interesting to me. Thanks for your post!

Patty B said...

It is indeed challenging in these tough times to make ends meet. But my parents lived through tough times during the Depression, and my grandparents had tough times with little money also. They taught me frugal ways, and simple living. I learned to garden and can up produce, and to make do with what was available. The Lord always seems to provide for our needs and we need to be thankful for what He gives. I am often blessed by free gifts of fruit or clothing. A neighbor just called me this evening and said his apple tree was loaded with apples and he and his wife have many health issues and cannot use the apples. Would I like them? Oh yes! So I will make applesauce and can it and save plenty for pies. Last year I got a lovely winter coat from a friend who said the coat no longer fit her (but it fit me perfectly). I grow flowers in my garden to put in vases around the house to make the rooms pretty and cheerful. There are always ways to live an abundant and simple life. I wouldn't have it any other way!

Elizabethd said...

We are finding much the same here in England. Costs have escalated in a frightening way. The new government is taking away a Winter fuel allowance for pensioners, and people are beginning to feel very worried. As you say, Mrs White, there are so many ways we can still find pleasure in our homes whilst being frugal. Your rose is very pretty and must be cheering.

Margaret said...

There's a wonderful creativity that comes with homemaking. True there are worries and discouragement but how happy a moment when a simple meal of bits and pieces pulled together elicits smiles and comments of "that was delicious!".

One thing my grandparents had that I don't was a community that could help each other. I don't have anyone who will share their extras with me and that I can do the same back;whereas, my grandmother could walk across the road to her aunt and pick green beans or grapes for jam. Or she'd send my mom down the road to drop off eggs for someone who could use them.

terricheney said...



"Our purpose in life is not to build up the store, but to build up the home." This is a wonderful reminder!

Regina said...

I needed to read this today as we are trying to get food assistance and its rather humbling to ask for help.