Thursday, July 15, 2010
All week I have been craving an Old Fashioned Day. I wanted to get up early, read my Bible and bake homemade bread. I wanted to stay home all day and work at a cheerful slow-pace. I wanted to read stories to the children and wash the kitchen floor. I wanted to hang clothes on the line and take a walk around the property to enjoy the sunshine. I wanted to sit on my porch, sipping on lemonade, and read a happy book while the children played. I wanted to use an old fashioned fan and keep the air conditioning off. I wanted to have all the windows open and enjoy the cool evening air. I wanted to listen to the sounds of birds chirping and leaves blowing in the wind. I wanted quiet. I wanted the television to be off and the computer to be forlorn. I wanted to have peace and quiet and do old fashioned things, with my hair cutely tied back with a scarf and my make-up just so. I wanted to smile and be rested and serve a delicious supper for my happy family.
But none of this happened.....
Instead, I wake up at the crack of dawn to do an errand. Then I come home and fall back asleep, just in time to be horrified at all the time I have wasted. I barely get through my housework and fall asleep again. I cry. I smile at the children and I do my best, but it is not going well. Then I make our supper and fall back asleep again. I am stressed. I am anxious and I am worn out. I want to have an old fashioned day, but modern crisises keep getting in my way.
Yet, I will not give up. I will try again tomorrow. But this time, I will make a list so I can purposely have things go my way. Here is what I will do:
1. I will listen for birds chirping.
2. I will drink hot tea while sitting on the porch, just before the sun sets.
3. I will read my Bible and Pray.
4. I will hang laundry on the clothesline.
5. I will not bake bread (smiles).
6. I will leisurely read a fun book while sitting in my favorite chair.
7. I will sing a hymn with the children.
8. I will wear my prettiest apron and put a pretty scarf in my hair. Then I will wash the kitchen floor.
9. When I cry today, (and we all know I will), I will quickly fix my make-up.
10. I will not get upset when I fall asleep twice in one day.
11. I will open the windows and look at the front property.
12. I will laugh and smile at least once during the day.
13. I will look at my neglected computer and be happy it is forlorn.
This is where my heart is - Hand Sewing and Relaxing at Home.
The greatest compliment I ever received - You Remind me So Much of Nana.
Subscribe to The Legacy of Home