Monday, March 4, 2024

Steady in Homemaking

The playground and park benches on our property.


It is so important to have a steady routine.  We have our meals at set times. There are chores to do throughout the day. We spend time visiting with family and guests as we provide a lovely haven of rest at home. All these lovely things, done with a good dose of cheer, will bring peace. 

To be steady and strong, requires dedication to hard work. This will impact others only when it is done with a love of good will. It has been said that happiness is not dependent on our circumstances. It comes from the heart. We need to nurture this wonderful feeling of joy by walking closely with the Lord and following the principles in Scripture. This brings a light to the world around us and warms the hearts of the family.  A dedicated homemaker is greatly needed to inspire and encourage the next generation.

Regardless of what is going on around us, in the neighborhood or with personal trials, we can remain steady in our homemaking.  Keeping house provides an anchor of stability in our lives. 

To be steady means to remain calm. It requires dignity, good manners, and a gracious attitude.  

When hard times come into the household, from worries, financial difficulties, or in stressful moments, we need to steady our actions and attitudes to keep the peace and remain a guiding light of goodness.

Sometimes I am listening to the troubles and trials of others and I don't know what to say.  I don't know how to help.  While they are speaking, I am learning to pray in my mind, such things as, "bless her, Lord." or "Heal him, Lord." Sometimes it helps to pray (in one's heart), "peace be upon him, Lord."   These are quiet conversations with God to help guide us and comfort us as we seek to comfort others. This is part of being steady and stable in our lives. We do not react to others based on moods or fluctuating emotions. We speak and we act with a quiet dignity and a sense of compassion. This spreads a light of virtue and brings rest to the difficult moment.   

We have had to take a few trips in the last few weeks for medical care*.  The journeys have been exhausting. There is a constant temptation to give in to fear and worry.  It is too easy to get caught up in the moment of trial and forget that one is an ambassador of a lovely Christian home. We need to remember to cultivate this kind of beautiful life whether we are at home or abroad. We need an orderly life with a heart for homemaking wherever we go.

One of the greatest needs we have in our day is to have a stable routine of homemaking.  The world is living on whims and emotions. The culture promotes self and boldness.  There is a lack of care and concern for members of the household. Many are doing their own thing rather than taking care of each other. This is not an environment which will nurture a rested heart or a strong family life. We need to get back to the task of old fashioned homemaking.

Blessings

Mrs. White

* Notice: For those who are interested in helping us with the expense of our ongoing medical trips, a page has been set up with all the details:

https://thelegacyofhome.blogspot.com/p/help-with-our-medical-trips.html

 

We are grateful for your kindness!

 

 - To find out more about this blog, or Mrs. White, please visit our About page. -





7 comments:

Cate Nunan said...

Hello Mrs White. My husband and I travelled 7 hours across Australia to help our daughter and partner move house over the weekend. We cared for the two grandchildren and the fact that I kept my general routine and that they all knew when meals were, that I would do the washing and that we read books before bed, made everyone calmer. We stayed at a holiday house but I brought familiar things with me and when the adults got stressed, I was calm for them and the children. It was very tiring to maintain but it made the 4 days so much more enjoyable and possible. I dressed simply as I do at home and we had fun activities but we all spoke carefully and kindly and tried to stay stable. It does make a difference. I am so glad to see that we can assist with your travel expenses for the medical appointments. Blessings from sunny Australia, Cate Nunan

Anonymous said...

Dear Mrs. White,

i have bookmarked this beautiful reminder. Thank you for your inspiring and gracious words.

May God bless you,

Marney

Sister in the Mid-west said...

I really liked your words of advice regarding the prayerful attitude. There are some times I don't have the words to speak to a friend but I can ask God to help their situations. He can help them. And it can be better to refrain from speaking too much when I have no wisdom regarding a particular matter.

Elizabethd said...

Your trips must be very tiring. I'm glad that you have given the opportunity to help in a small way. You will be in my prayers.

Martha Jane Orlando said...

When we have a routine and peace at home, we can carry that same steadiness and caring out into the world. I so loved this post, Mrs. White.
Blessings!

Jane said...

So true, Mrs. White!

Hugs
Jane

Cheyenne said...

I am working hard to be steady and establish regular times for our routines. It doesn't come naturally to me but I realize how important it is. How grateful I am for your wisdom and guidance! I am praying for you and your family, Mrs. White.

In Christ,
Cheyenne