Friday, February 2, 2024

A Medical Trip

Hermann Pohle  painting, 1901.


Very soon we will be leaving for a medical trip. We will travel to the next state to a hospital for essential medical care for one of the family.  There are less than 2 weeks before we have to go.  I am making plans and getting things ready.  One of the main things that I do is to make sure the house is neat and clean and in order.  My Aunt used to say that one must be a good housekeeper and make sure to never leave the house looking like it had been neglected.

This trip is for one of my grown sons.  He needs ongoing treatment for a "life-long" condition that he was diagnosed with in late 2020.   We used to have to go every two months for a few years. The treatment has slowed down and we are now only going once or twice a year as needed. These plans could change at any time depending on his condition. We have an excellent doctor who is overseeing his care. 

During this trip, we have to stay overnight at a hotel.  The trip is much too far to manage in one day.  We both have our health limitations and cannot endure such a journey without the rest at a hotel. This can be expensive, but we do our very best to save as much as possible for these trips. We are also given a special rate for patients of the hospital.

To keep our spirits up and to keep our focus away from the worries and stress of his condition, I treat the journey as a mini-vacation. We bring some of "home" with us.  This saves a great deal of money. We pack homemade food into a little cooler. I also bring paper plates, plastic silverware, and napkins.  Since there are not any decent tables in the rooms for comfortable dining, I bring a foldable bed tray. In this way, I can enjoy the food in some sort of elegance.

Before we arrive at the hotel, we take a quick break to visit some of the stores in the area.  I do this because we do not have any places to shop in my rural area.  To visit places like T.J. Maxx is such a rare treat for me. But I have to run in and look around in a fast and efficient way. There is little time or energy for such shopping.  Yet, I make the most of this by vising the clearance section and I select items for $3 or $4 to buy the annual gifts for my grandchildren. These are for the year's birthdays and Christmas presents. These are then brought home, wrapped, labeled, and put away until they are needed. Doing this yearly shopping saves me a great deal of money. 

Money is very limited but I need a few things as well.  My husband came up with an idea for this.  Last month my husband received a little money in a card from a family member for his birthday.  He told me to take it with me on the trip. He wanted me to buy 2 gifts for myself to make up for the lack on my recent birthday and Christmas.  I tried to talk him out of it. "Honey, you should keep that money for yourself," I told him.   But he explained he would be much happier if I used the money for myself.  I was grateful. I hope to get a new pair of sturdy slippers, and perhaps some feminine item of clothing.  

By late afternoon we will arrive at the hotel.  After we are settled, I will call my husband to say goodnight.  He will say the evening prayer over the telephone.  I will call again the next morning. 

The next day, we go to the hospital.  The doctor may order tests or make a new plan for medication.  Then we will see what happens next.  We trust that we will get through it and are grateful for our faith and trust in the Lord.

A nice treat, for us, is to stop in the hospital cafeteria for an inexpensive lunch before we begin the long drive to reach home.  

This is a very difficult time of year to be traveling. February in Vermont is known for its bitterly cold weather. The air is icy cold and it is an ordeal to venture out for a trip.  We will dress warmly and make the best of things.  The Lord will guide us with His eye upon us. We are blessed through it all.  

I expect to write one more post before we leave. This should be ready sometime next week.  I will be announcing my newest book which will be available on kindle as well as in paperback. It should be ready for sale late next week.  

Thank you for being here. 

Blessings

Mrs. White

From the Archives -

Remembering the Old Days - Shopping Once a Year.  

The Way it Was - Caring for the Family at Home - A Comforting Sick Room.

Contentment with our - Standard of Living.

 

- To find out more about this blog, or Mrs. White, please visit our About page. -


For a Peaceful, Old Fashioned Bible Time:

  

Order this 90 - Day devotional study by Mrs. White:

The Prentiss Study Deluxe Edition

paperback, 105 pages, 6 x 9.

ISBN: 978-1956616040






 


 

 

9 comments:

Andrea G. said...

I’m praying for both your son and safe travels.

I’m also excited to hear there will be a new book released soon. I’ve been rereading the books of yours I already own-I find them very comforting and motivating as we make our way through the winter. I’m going to put some money aside so I’ll be ready when the new one is available for sale! It’s something to look forward to for sure!

Martha Jane Orlando said...

Praying for safe travel and good news from the doctor, Mrs. White. We, too, have to break trips up into segments if we travel. With all that's just happened, it will be a LONG time before we go on any road trips.
Blessings!

Elizabethd said...

I do hope that your travel will be safe and without problems. It sounds as though you have everything well planned. I hope you enjoy a little look in the stores.

Billie Jo said...

Hello, Mrs. White,

I will pray for a safe and productive trip for you and your son. I know exactly what you mean about cleaning before a trip. I always love coming home, and even more to a clean house!
I look forward to hearing about your newest book! Have a cozy afternoon, my friend.

Kathy said...

Safe travels and happy shopping!

Andrea said...

I pray all goes well for your upcoming trip. And that you get no snow and the roads are safe to travel on. You prepare very well. We bring our own food when we travel now also. We don't care to stop and waste time while on the road, and the food isn't healthy. (Not that I'm the healthiest eater, but my food is clean.) We stay at our kids' homes so that is not a problem, just on the road it is. I always clean my house before also. It's enough work to unpack and do laundry; and it just is delightful to be home. andrea

Belinda said...

I’ll be praying that all goes well for your son and wishing you safe travels. Your food from home and the bed table sound wonderfully relaxing and peaceful.

Jane said...

Praying that you have a safe trip and the prognosis for your son is good. And also that you will have an enjoyable time on your little shopping excursions and find some bargains.

Hugs
Jane

Pam Richardson said...

Mrs. White, I will be praying for a safe trip and a good medical report for your son. Enjoy the shopping!