Thursday, February 24, 2011

A Very Special Dinner

Preparing food in a dimly lit kitchen

It started late one afternoon. I couldn't think of a new and exciting dinner idea. Mr. White offered to look through the grocery sales ads with me. We brainstormed. Then it finally hit me - I noticed there was Bakery Sesame Italian Bread on sale for only $1 per loaf. I could come up with a wonderful idea with that.

I made a shopping list. I could only spend $10 and it had to feed all of us. We even had a guest over - Matthew's (18) girlfriend. So I had to make sure we would all enjoy our special meal.  I went out and bought the groceries. By the time I got home, it was already dark. I got right to work.

I turned on some classical music - (Mozart) and turned on the broken kitchen light. This florescent light switches off and on every few seconds. We rarely use it anymore. It needs to be replaced. Yet for some reason, I prefer to work by nightlights and candles so we only use the broken light in emergencies.

What was the emergency? I had to quickly plan out, prepare and photograph this special dinner for Erin at $5 dinners. I was asked by her, late last year, to write one dinner each month and it was to cost $10 or less.  My posts appear on her site every 3rd Thursday of the month.  I had slacked and slacked and finally the deadline for my post was looming near.

Every so often, I called Amy (16) into the room to help me take pictures. We tried to time the broken, flashing light with the clicks from the camera. I had hoped to get pictures with plenty of light. But this didn't happen. The result, however, of the dimly lit room, created some ambiance and a sense of a real home that I loved.

Everyone enjoyed our special dinner. I had to call Nana (who lives downstairs in our large old house) and have her help me come up with a name for this dinner idea. We decided to call it - Italian Chicken Subs. 

I hope you enjoyed this "behind the scenes look," of what goes into creating a recipe idea each month. I'd love to hear about your favorite dinner!
 

Blessings
Mrs. White

From the Archives -

The Joy of Creating a Cozy Home!

When I am worn out, I love to have A Jane Austen Day.

Inspired by Little House - Delicate Beauty of Homemaking.



An Invitation - Subscribe to The Legacy of Home and have it delivered directly to your email.




4 comments:

Coby said...

Popping in to say hi!

What a fun challenge! I love the idea of working in the kitchen by candlelight - I'll have to try it!

Illinois Lori said...

Dearest Mrs White! You've done it again! Provided inspiration, that is...I've been feeling similar, just can't come up with a new idea lately. My plate of life is so full right now (my kids are about your kids' ages, and my parents are both needing lots of help to manage life, which I am giving them gladly, plus homeschool/college stuff, you know!) that sometimes even the simplest of things become difficult. I keep "meal prep" itemsw in my freezer, including bags of 2 cups of cooked, shredded chicken and beef, cooked ground beef and onions and a little tomato sauce (can be used for spaghetti when added to marinara, or lasagna, sloppy joes, shepherd's pie, etc), stuff like that. So I think I can quickly thaw a pack of chicken, and I have marinara and salad fixin's, just need to buy some good Italian bread. THANK YOU for sharing the link to that recipe post! You've been a blessing today!

I'll swap recipes with you...here is mine for something you likely have out there in New England:
Concord Grape Pie
http://homesteadblogger.com/serenityinthesuburbs/145441/

Many blessings on you today!
IllinoisLori at Plans4You

http://illinoislori.blogspot.com

Charla @ Healthy Home Blog said...

So glad we could feature you on Friendly Friday this week! :)

Rebecca Knox said...

Thank you for sharing this! I very much enjoyed the "behind the scenes" look! :)