Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Sweet Voice in the Kitchen


I must have been very ill today. I slept away most of the day. I remember cleaning my kitchen this morning and smiling while I worked. Then I laid down for a few minutes to rest. . . I fell asleep for hours. . .

I have teenagers here at home and everyone had projects of their own. They didn't seem to mind that Mother was sleeping. It made for a quiet day.

But the strange part was, when I finally got up to start working again, it was 4 in the afternoon. I put the laundry on the clothesline, hoping for the last bit of warmth from the sun. I could not believe how tired I had been.

I went into the kitchen and did some dishes. I was weak and weary and could not move at my usual pace.

Then I heard a voice. . .

It was my 13 year old son, John. "Mom, can I do those dishes for you?"

I loved cleaning, but knew I should accept his offer. I continued to work, but said I would love his help.

He urged me to go back to bed. He would make me a little supper and some hot chocolate.
 
I was grateful.

I laid back down and watched an episode of The Waltons while I enjoyed some food. The house was very peaceful. I thought about how much I wanted to just sit and read the Bible. It is amazing how weariness and helplessness can draw us closer to God. It also amazes me how sweet my children can be to me when I am somber and quiet. If only I was that good all the time!



Blessings
Mrs. White

From the Archives -

When Mother is Sick - A Hospital in the Home.

I will do this  - No Matter What It Cost Me.

The Godly Culture of my kitchen compared to the world - Sermons and the Godly Home.




- To find out more about this blog, or Mrs. White, please visit our About page. -




8 comments:

Belinda said...

Hey hun, I voted for you :) I'm vote #435 :D Good luck

Deanna said...

Voting for you!
and cheering you on. May you get rested.
God bless,
d

http://www.joyfilleddays.com said...

Hope you are full of strength soon.
Sarah
www.joyfilleddays.wordpress.com

Jen @ Jen Spends said...

Thank you so much for visiting my blog :) Hope you are feeling well-rested soon!

Chels/Catz in the Kitchen said...

I'm so sorry your under the weather. I know a lot of people are right now and I feel so bad :( How kind of your your son to offer to help you out. I'll be saying a prayer for you today :)

A.Marie said...

I hope you start feeling better soon!! How sweet of your son to help you out. You are definitely "reaping what you have sown" with your children. They sound like such lovely kids! :)

Annie Kate said...

I hope you'll soon feel better again. Being exhausted is so wearing...and your children are as wonderful as mine, it seems. A mommy who is sick a lot of the time seems to bring out the best in the children.

My unrelenting,unending fatigue was due to celiac disease. Now I'm still weak, but much better than I thought would ever be possible. Have you ever considered going totally gluten-free?

((hugs))

Annie Kate

paul said...

i love watching the Waltons

brings back happy memories of watching the show over 30 years ago