Sunday, June 26, 2011

Desperately Seeking Joy

Table and Tableware Decorated with Roses



I have seen godly mothers who have a joyful disposition. They are happy despite pain, trouble or heartache. They take everything to God and they praise Him throughout the day.

I am on a quest to find this same happiness. It is a daily journey. I constantly trip, fall into the mud of misery, and am beaten by hailstorms.   I cry at the drop of a hat.  I "take a break" in the middle of conflict because I am not strong enough to remain in the battle, without dropping from sheer exhaustion.

I have been puzzled all day, trying to find that ever-present joy. Where is that state of calm that provides peace?  I keep battling my own "ways" and "thoughts" and "wisdom."

When an unfair trial comes, I get stubborn and dwell on injustice.  Rather than using the opportunity to serve in humility.

When something unthinkable happens to my family, I fall into a depression. Rather than praying to God to help me nurse their wounds. 

Where was the part about my dying to self?

Of course, then I think - "I am only one person! How can so much weight be placed on my shoulders?"


Then I remember that I am trying to do it all alone. . . Again


How do we find joy in a sin-filled world?


How can we cheer up our brothers and live in the sunshine (as the old hymn goes)?

This is where daily laboring in memorizing Scripture and hymns becomes invaluable. Just like I am sometimes on auto-pilot when I drive or do housework, the Word of God will automatically be brought to mind at just the right time to give me the strength, wisdom and the joy I need to get through the daily storms.

May God help me never to forget this essential lesson!

John 15:10 - 11

Blessings
Mrs. White

Remembering my Childhood- Saturday Morning Chores.

When things are really bad, sometimes all you can do is laugh - Trials and Laughter.

List of my Favorites - Mother's Hymns.








An Invitation - Subscribe to The Legacy of Home and have it delivered directly to your email.


Share/Bookmark

10 comments:

Amy said...

This is something I struggle with daily.Thank you for sharing.
Amy`

Deanna said...

God bless you especially today.
We learn as we go,
d

Nicole said...

I'm reading "Blue Like Play Dough" by Tricia Gower and she was talking about the same thing in the chapter I just finished. On those days when she is just feeling "blue" and agitated and unglued, it's most always because she hasn't been spending her time with God to the point of trusting Him in every minute circumstance. I tend to do the same thing. We all just need to take a moment (many moments) and draw back closer to Him. Praying for a good week for you!

Nicole

Joy said...

It's been my goal to find joy everyday. I've been blogging about my journey... counting joy in all things... when I want to stand on top of the mountain and screeeaaaammmm. I liked your post. May we be open to what God is doing in our lives as we go on a joy-journey! :) Blessings, my friend!

Anonymous said...

Dear Mrs. White, you are not alone in this struggle to find that perfect peace with the Lord. I struggle with this too. I pray that the Lord will help us both with these struggles.

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

I often struggle with this. I wonder if the ever joyful mothers are a homeschooling myth.

I know that I have to die to self daily and become more and more like Christ.

Knowing and doing are two different things. I too often fall into depression or fatigue.

May God strengthen you by His Holy Spirit. I ask it for myself as well.

God bless friend!

Laura of Harvest Lane
TOS Crew

Celee said...

I'm on that quest, too! I have to take lots of thoughts captive! I totally agree about Scripture meditation and love listening to the Psalms in my car so that words of praise are on my mind. Thank you for the word of encouragement!

Celee

Kathy said...

Thanks for writing my feelings out for me. I also have to remember not to compare myself to others (at least what I see of them). My eyes must remain on Jesus alone. It's hard and it often leaves me feeking so lonely - even though I know He is with me every step. Bless you!

Jennifer Perkins said...

Sharon, I too struggle with this so much. There is so much that is SO HARD. Thank you for this reminder, and I pray you are feeling well.

Love, Jen

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

I camp out in Philippians 4 during times like these.
Hugs,
Mrs. Laura Lane