Friday, June 16, 2023

35 Years of Frugal Living - A Wedding Anniversary

The Parlour at Mrs. White's home in Vermont.


Each year, at this time, I try to think of something special to do for my wedding anniversary. It is in 2 weeks, the first week of July. We never seem to have any spare money for gifts, an outing, or a trip, to celebrate the milestones of our marriage.  I end up just setting the parlour table with a white tablecloth and a wedding album. I do this every year.

 

The table set for our anniversary in 2019.

We have spent our entire lives being frugal out of necessity. I have learned, over many years, how to live on the income my husband has provided.  Our income has fluctuated from very low,  to modest, to very low.  We live as simply as we can and only buy treats and frivolities (that bring happiness) when there is extra cash available. We have no debt, no credit cards, and no car payments. We have a very small mortgage on our house, but that is our only obligation.  If we do not have the money to pay for something, we cannot have it. It is as simple as that.  

I remember some years ago, after my husband had been in an accident (that caused his permanent disability and made him unable to work). We had stopped at the pharmacy to pick up his prescription. He waited in the car while I went into the store. It was Christmas time and the store was full of pretty things to bring joy to one's home. As I waited for the prescription to be filled, I saw a little light-up Christmas scene. I pushed a button and it played "Silent Night." I just loved it.  Later, I told my husband about this little thing that brought me such delight.  He brought me back the next day and told me to buy it. 

Another year, long ago, when our children were young, my husband overheard me talking to the children about how we wanted to buy some little fun thing as we did our grocery shopping. But we didn't have any extra money.  My husband came over and quietly asked me what I wanted.  He told me to wait as he walked into another room. He soon returned and tried to hand me his last $20 that he had been saving.  I did not want to take it. But he said it would make him happy for us to buy the thing we wanted.  I was so grateful.

A few days ago, we were talking about the things we needed to save up for - minor repairs, our property taxes, and the house insurance.  Then we talked about how much we need to get an electrician in here to fix our kitchen. In the middle of this past winter, our power went out in half of our kitchen. We had to stop using part of it and just get by.  Now that it is summer, we will get the electrician in here to fix the problem. This will cost money. But it is necessary. We talked about what we could do to get by.  I told my husband that I didn't need to buy any clothes this year. He said he could wait as well.  I told him I needed shoes but I would wait until next spring.  Then he said to me, "I need shoes too, but you get yourself shoes next year and I will get mine the year after that."  I was so grateful for his sacrifice and always doing his best to give things to me and the children first, going without, so we have what we need.

Today, as I think about how to celebrate 35 years of marriage, I realize it has been a frugal marriage all of our days. We have lived on faith and learned many lessons. We are so very thankful. When our home has God as the foundation, what else really matters?

In a couple of weeks, on our anniversary, I will set the table with our wedding album and we will just thank the dear Lord for all he has given us. We are truly blessed and grateful.

Blessings

Mrs. White

From the Archives -

Four Generations Living in One House - In Pursuit of Christian Duty.

What Many of us Crave - An Ordinary Life at Home.

Please be One of these - The Mother Who Isn't Busy.

The Blessing of a Virtuous Mother - Amazing Dedication

 

- To find out more about this blog, or Mrs. White, please visit our About page. -

 



Find Home-keeping Inspiration, in Mrs.White's book - For The Love of Christian Homemaking.  

 

Paperback, 274 pages.




13 comments:

Lauren said...

Thanks for sharing! I hope you have a Wonderful anniversary! We will have one on July 7th, 22 years.

Amelia said...

Beautiful memories, just so encouraging and sweet. Happy Anniversary, yes, when God is the foundation, it's so very true...What else matters?

We too are celebrating our anniversary as well, our 43rd. : ) I remember one Christmas season we were in an almost 100 year old Hallmark shop in one of my very favorite towns, I call it USO town. There were some warm scarves there and the shop was having to clearance them as they were sadly closing after all those years. There was one little plaid scarf I had admired previously and hubby bought it for me, it was just very sweet as you shared too...Just the heart behind it and the way it was done with love.

I appreciate you sharing so much, it brings a comraderie I think to sisters in the Lord who are walking the same walk and have trodden the same path with the Lord at our sides...

God bless you Mrs. White. Love, ~Amelia

Andrea G. said...

Happy Anniversary to you both! Thank you for sharing these memories; not only are they sweet and brought a smile to my face, but it’s inspiring me to return to some of my old frugal ways since we expect our incoming to be decreasing shortly.

Christine said...

Our HOME isn’t here. We are waiting for our true home. It will be a place of JOY, GLORIFYING and LOVE!
Your modest Home is what we all need to reflect. The honor and love is so apparent.
Congratulations to you both! Your children and friends know and love you for your strength.

Marilyn said...

Material things are no guarantee of happiness. Your home is so full of love. I wish you a very happy anniversary. You bring such joy into my life.

Wanda said...

Reading your post and the stories and memories remind me of some of our own. We always pastored small chuches, lived in parsonages. We have never owned a home, but God has always suppied.
We also have a anniversary coming up June 24th. This will be 62 years for us. A lifetime of loving, growing, sacrificing, but it's all been worth it, and the Lord has more than supplied our needs and I feel the love in your home as I read you story.
I love your special table to celebrate your anniversary, and I am so touch by your husband's love and sacrifice for you and your family.
God Bless You.

Marsha Harrup said...

Blessings up Blessings Mr. & Mrs. White. We will have our 57th anniversary in August. We met at 4 years old, as he moved into my neighborhood. We walked to school at 6 years old, played together, started dating at 17, married at age 22, so we have been best friends for 75 years. God has always been the focus of our home. We are both 79 years old and love spending time with each other, even if it is just watching a favorite T.V. program. Blessings to both of you! Marsha

Elizabethd said...

Mrs White, I think your idea of a special table is very lovely, especially to have your memories in the shape of the photo album.
My husband and I didnt quite reach 44 years but were so blessed to have the time we had. I think of him every day and pray that he knew how much he was appreciated.

Debbie said...

Mrs. White, I can't think of a sweeter anniversary than to spend it together, looking at old photos and remembering all that you've shared through the years. And what a kind heart for your husband to give you little treats and let you buy your shoes first.

Our 34th anniversary is July 1st. It sounds like it might be close to yours :)

Happy (early) anniversary!

Tip said...

One year our finances were tight. We went to get some groceries and it was our anniversary. We stood in the card aisle and showed each other what card we would buy if we had the extra money. It was a memorable anniversary. Always makes me smile when I think of it.

Linda said...

What a beautiful testimony to what truly matters. I can see the love you both have in your hearts for each other and the sacrifices your willing to make. Blessings and happy anniversary to you and your husband Mrs White ~ Linda

Pam Richardson said...

Wishing you both a beautiful anniversary. With faith and trust in God as your foundation, you have everything that is needed. Thank you for sharing, Mrs. White.

Jenny of Elefantz said...

Happy and BLESSED wedding anniversary!
May the Lord continue to be a great witness of marriage through the two of you, for long marriages are becoming less and less.
When my husband and I celebrated our 31st anniversary last December, many people said "Goodness, that's a long time!"...and yet in my Nana's day, most marriages were very long, until death they do part.
Hugs and blessings
Jennifer