Monday, February 20, 2012

Mother's Flowers

Tuscan Afternoon





Throughout my married years, I often observed my mother-in-law in her homemaking. (She went home to be with the Lord a few years ago.) She was a classic housewife and loved home. She had beautiful plants throughout the living room and on the porch. She also tended her flower gardens on the property. 

I have never been very good with plants or gardening and have spent much of my time as a semi-invalid, sitting in chairs and reading on my bad days, or keeping busy with cleaning and other activities on my good days.

But just the other day, my very dear oldest son bought me some plants.  I walked into the parlour and saw Daisies in a large pot. I also saw a small, delicate yellow rose plant inside a pink pot. They are beautiful flowers. I was so surprised and grateful!

Daisies are a cheerful flower. And roses bring elegance.

I have been carefully taking care of them each day, just like my mother-in-law cared for her house flowers.   And I have been thinking about what a great honor it is to be at home and to carry on the legacy of my ancestor mothers.

Blessings
Mrs. White

From the Archives -

Your Children will love this - A Cheerful and Willing Housekeeper.

A yearning for - The Romance of Home.

A lovely day with my children, years ago - Happy at Home.



4 comments:

PASSIONEDECO FRANCESCA said...

I love your posts so much!

You will see, taking care of your plants is something so rewarding!

Thank you for your always inspiring posts

Fra

Amy S. said...

I love your blog so very much! You have no idea what an encouragement you have been to me. I thought I was the only homeschooling mother in the world that had prodigal children. :)

Unknown said...

What a wonderfully sweet husband you have :)

Cathy said...

Isn't a good mother in law such a gift? Your post reminded me of my husband's mother, who also passed away a couple years ago. She was always very kind and helpful, and taught me so much about homemaking. When she helped me, she would always ask me how I wanted things done. Very sweet, because she knew much more than I did about everything, but she honored me as the woman of the house.